1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Featured Phil Jones Releases Affordable and Portable Micro 7

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Feb 27, 2019.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    PJB bass tone-to-go just got more portable and affordable with the Phil Jones Bass MICRO 7 combo. The MICRO 7 is a single channel 50 Watt bass combo with a 7” driver and 3” tweeter. It measures less than a foot on all sides and weighs only 15 ½ lbs. The street price is $279. making it the most affordable and compact combo from PJB yet.

The MICRO 7 uses the same high level of quality parts that musicians have come to expect on all PJB products. The goal was to achieve the highest level in tone quality at an unbeatable price with the result being the ultimate sounding practice amp for the home.

The MICRO 7 dimensions are (WxDxH):11.2"x9.7"x9.8" and will work on any AC voltage from 100 to 260 Volts without the need of a selector. Other features include Class D amplification, highly efficient and proprietary PJB 7-inch speaker and a 3” high frequency transducer, solid kick proof acoustically transparent curved steel grill, stereo headphone input, bass/mid/treble controls, auxiliary input and level control, and preamp line out. The frequency response is 36Hz -22KHz with a Signal to Noise Ratio Better than 84dB (EQ center, Volume on Full.)

Micro 7 Front.

Micro 7 Top. Micro 7 Side View. Micro 7 Front. Micro 7 Back.

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Nice

Pbassmanca likes this.
  3. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Awesome! PJB sound and quality at such a low price is a gift. It seems perfect for double bassists to add a bit of sound reinforcement on gigs.

Pbassmanca and Groove Doctor like this.
  4. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Why would you make this with a 1/4" line out instead of an XLR? Seems weird not to use the most common connector for connecting to the FOH.

5. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    That PJB is a whole lot lower price than the Markbass Micromark I’ve been eyeing. I’ll have to reconsider, now.

6. Wayne Gulley

Wayne Gulley

Oct 2, 2005
    Nice! I wish I had waited for this. I recently bought the Roland Micro Cube for about $30 less. The Roland is purely a low volume practice amp, the PJ appears to be a legitimate small combo.

ghostinthemach and Pbassmanca like this.
  7. Easier to run into the FX return of a second amp, perhaps? You can easily shove a line out into a DI box.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  8. nbsipics

nbsipics It's the Bass that makes them Dance Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    @pcake - didn’t you have a post about a small combo? Something to look at. I have a PJB super flight case and I like it a lot.

pcake and Pbassmanca like this.
  9. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Now this interests me. I've been looking for a small home practice amp and at that price point , with those features and the Phil Jones quality, I think that might be a winner. Would love the chance to play through one. ....:woot:

Loring and staurosjohn like this.
  11. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Too much money for too little watts.

12. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Do you think this would be loud enough to rehearse with a moderately loud guitarist, drummer, and vocalist? I'm guessing maybe not.

nilorius likes this.
  13. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    If there's any fact on this site it's this: "loud", and thus moderately loud, means extremely different things to different people.

It's shocking what type of situations some smaller combos can carry. Some situations they can't.

It'll utlimately depend on the style of music, the players, the room and reinforcement. Same as ever.

Consider calling PJB and asking the expert, Phil Jones himself.

14. Unless the drummer plays with brushes the whole time and the guitarist is very, very quiet, I'd say definitely not.

juggahnaught and selowitch like this.
  15. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    I will say that outsourcing manufacturing to Asia is marginally OK (my experience has been good because I pick and choose) but PJB really should’ve kept the writing of the manual closer to home. The English language manual should read like a native speaker of English was involved but it sure doesn’t. That has no effect on the product itself but because of this I’ve lost some regard for the product and for the company. If PJB gives short shrift to the manual, what other short cuts were taken? They’ve undermined their high-end standing.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Frank77 and instrumentalist like this.
  16. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i'm guessing this would make an exceptional supporting sound for upright players.

I still use my markbass 2x6" combo - enough sound for general use with upright, and just barely enough to get by on electric with drummer/brushes. basically matches the volume of a good acoustic piano.

this 7"+3" rig would make sense for a lot of things, but definitely not for anything where you are actually considering using the word "loud" in the description.

Tom Bomb likes this.
  17. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Other than price, what makes the Micro 7 a better choice than the smaller, lighter, more powerful Double Four BG-75?

I already own a Double Four, so this amp is clearly not for me.

18. danieledanny

danieledanny

Nov 29, 2015
    nice!pity can't use with battery stilo

19. Totally agree, their documentation side of the business needs to be tightened up. I bought an original Suitcase years ago and though I loved the amp, the PJB catalog and other documents that came with it were poorly written.

Also, back then, the PJB website, the owner's manual and the nameplate on the back of the amp all had different power ratings specs for the amp I had bought. You may have a good product, but details like this can make you look bad.

20. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Completely agree. I hate bad writing, poor spelling, and sloppy grammar in general—it simply conveys an “I don’t care” sort of attitude that is very off-putting.

Frank77 likes this.