1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Releases Cab 27 Bass Speaker Enclosure

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Aug 8, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Phil Jones Bass (PJB) announces the arrival of the company’s new Cab 27 (model# C-27) bass . The C-27 is a two way compact high-performance bass instrument loudspeaker that features 2 proprietary PJB 4 ohm 7-inch drivers wired in series (8 ohm total) designed to handle high power levels of up to 200 Watts with extremely low distortion. A proprietary 3 inch (magnetic liquid cooled voice coil) cone tweeter augments the high-frequency component giving it a fully extended range of 30 Hz to 25 KHz. The C- 27’s full range and smooth frequency response enables it to easily double as a vocal monitor or as a music playback speaker.

The dimensions are 16.5” Wide x 13” High x 12.5” Deep, with a weight of 29 Lbs. Features include heavy duty vinyl/carpet covering, “kick proof” shock mounted steel grill, heavy duty recessed handle for easy carrying, 2 x Neutrik Speakon NL4 connectors, and rubber feet positioned to allow the cabinet to be used vertically or horizontally. Price is $299.99 Street.

Though small by bass amp standards it is fully capable of handling 5 string bass fundamentals down to the low B string. The cabinet is precisely tuned using multiple loudspeaker analysis programs to reduce cone movement at the lowest frequencies, and to increase low frequency output. PJB employs a full size anechoic chamber for acoustic measurements and a laser scanning Doppler interferometer to analyze cone movement.

cab27.

Attached Files:

2. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I like this; previous entry was an amp head, this one's a cab. Quick someone put some new amp so it stays a pattern....

3. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    When are manufacturers going to learn that the handle should go on the long side of the cabinet?

4. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    Already got one preordered.
    Seems to be the same speaker setup as the Session 77 combo.I have one & like it but it isn't loud enough f or some gigs. If I like the cabinet 27 I'll get 2nd one next month.
    I've been using Phil Jones C4 cabinets & I really like them!

FingerDub likes this.
  5. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    I am a bit confused by Phil Jones recent new offerings. They were the standard bearer that an array of smaller drivers produces a more homogeneous tighter sound than a cab with drivers for lows plus a tweeter/horn.

Are they just surrendering to market pressure?

What about the grand theory that drivers of different sizes produce phase cancellation?

6. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    It does seem to be on the long side. ???

I see it isn't on their website yet. And, what is the amp shown on the Bass Products – Bass Products site that isn't on the PHIL JONES BASS OFFICIAL WEBSITE site which the former now points you to?

- John

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  7. Yeah I'm not feeling this one in particular, but I've got 2 Phil Jones C4 cabs and a D-400 head that's a mini-stack tone monster.

Perfectly happy with those for right now (especially since each cab is capable of pumping 400 watts and they weigh less than 30lbs).

DonaldR and bhernco like this.
  8. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    A Phil Jones cab with a tweeter sounds like a crime against hi-fidelity... :laugh:

pellomoco14 likes this.
  9. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    I think this release, as well as the development of the 7" drivers, had to do with coming up with a good sound at a particular price point. Obviously, the C4/C8 is at a different price point with the multiple drivers versus the cab27/47.

I did see where one reviewer commented about using two as a stereo system set for music playback.

10. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    7"...just being odd for sake of being odd? For PJB, that price seems too good to be true.

Pbassmanca and MrLenny1 like this.
  11. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    Good catch. They should be on the short side for carrying. I meant that the cab hangs so that the long sides are top to bottom when you carry.

12. brother21

brother21

Dec 26, 2008
    Anaheim
    If you stacked 2 of them you run into the handle on the top issue which is not ideal. I'm interested in a new cab but the price is so low I can't image it holding up under gigging. Imported

13. FingerDub

FingerDub

Jan 8, 2016
    The handle is recessed so what problem? I only use a 2x12 or 4x10 for gigging so I'm not familiar.

14. brother21

brother21

Dec 26, 2008
    Anaheim
    The handles are not flush if you put an amp on top, most always it's an uneven surface. well at least they have the feet on the bottom(side) correct.

15. I'm interested in this cab! Over on the DB/URB side, there has been a lot of buzz about how well 8" speakers had always worked with upright, but most of the cabs with 8" speakers were rather expensive...but $299 looks great! Plus, I could put it on top of one of my 1x12's for a slightly downsized version of the classic 2x10 + 1x15 combination!

16. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    AMP: Are you referring to the new BP800? It should be shipping in a few weeks.

17. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Based on what I see in the construction of PJB cabs, I doubt that it would be much different than any other bass cab in longevity. Low price - this is a 200 watt cab, not a 400 watt cab. The lower driver cost is some of the difference. A lot of bass gear is import. PJB has their own factories, not subed/farmed out. I would not suggest these cabs for a loud rock gig unless one was running 4 of them - which I am considering trying out. These, I think, are better speced for lighter type gigs or subtler genre.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    This one.
    phil jones bass.PNG

It and the CAB 27 are now on the PJB News page posted Thursday, 9 Aug. The same day I asked about it. Funny.

- John

19. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    They have already accepted our order so it should ship soon.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. Elias86

Elias86

Feb 7, 2010
    Mebane, NC
    Hasn't anyone received one yet? I think the configuration and concept of this design seems like a winner, but I'm really curious what the limits will be given the price tag. My guess is that the sensitivity must not be very high. Still, for $300....