1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil jones suitcase combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by n30g30, Apr 26, 2015.

1. n30g30

n30g30

Aug 6, 2013
    hello

I own a Phil jones suitcase with the extension cab. I play a fender jazz deluxe.

The amp sounds great in that it projects the sound of the bass. But the sound does lack a warmth.

But when I play effects through it, the lack of warmth becomes more apparent. Particularly with dirt pedals. Dirt pedals sound too harsh.

I've tried to insert the pedals via the input as well as via the fx loop.
    It doesn't seem to warm up.

So I grabbed my Ampeg SVP pro and put it into the effects loop of the Phil jones. Tubes really warm up the sound.

This configuration isn't a viable option because my SVP pro is noisey (yes I replaced all the tubes).

Do other Phil jones owners feel the need to warm up the sound? How do you do it?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    The "warm" you're looking for is actually distortion - PJB is not the right supplier if you want an amp that'll "soften" the signal like that. You give it a dirty signal, the sound coming out will be that dirt, presented very cleanly.

Sounds like the "dirt" pedals you have are rather mismatched - it's not the amp's job to clean up after effects. If you want that combo to work, I would suggest putting a tube preamp of some sort in between - or getting pedals that sound warmer - it's the sound of the pedals you're hearing, not the sound of the amp.

(Just my 2 cents, I'm no expert and I don't have the suitcase, but I do have the briefcase and like it very, very much.)

3. n30g30

n30g30

Aug 6, 2013
    Would you put the tube preamp in the fx loop or in the input to the amp ?

4. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Phil jones is more of 'hi-fi amp. Sounds like you want to go a little more low-fi. Have you tried putting an ampeg or eden pedal in front. The have something out but I forget what it's called. Something like that may help you achieve your sound on that amp.
    I have a suitcase combo which is now for sale and it's always given me what I wanted. I have used it on top of 4 x 10 cab for a few gigs which really turns it into something else...