Phil Lesh Appreciation Society: Enter the Philzone... v2.0

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Serial# BA-1282.
    I'd been looking for a Starfire locally since the mid 90's, but gave up and got a 1964 Gibson EB-2, then later a 2010 Gibson SG, both played through a 2000-ish SWR Silverado Special 2x12. I wanted simplicity and concentrated more on playing, and was never much of a gear head until recently, with time and money to invest in new stuff, so it's very cool to see other Phil-inspired rigs.

Morrighan, edwinhurwitz and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. Shared this with the Official Mesa Boogie Subway Series Club due to the Mesa WD 800 content.
    Made a lot of believers in the Grateful Shred :)

SethD and whirledpeas like this.
  3. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS
    Mine is BA1319, so pretty close.

My first bass was a Gibson EB-2D. I modified it with Barts and a Badass. I wish I had never sold it (if anyone sees it, let me know! I sold it to a kid in Cambridge, MA ca. 1980) IMG_5814.jpg . A few years ago, I got a '68 EB-3 which I also modified (none of my basses escape the soldering iron!). EB-2D.jpg

RVBASS, cosmicevan, jerry and 4 others like this.
  4. The first bass that I modified I wanted the Hagstrom Bi-Sonic pickup in it but I was a not knowing kid at the time.
    I knew that the basses that Phil and Jack played were Guild so when I asked for the pickup I asked for a Guild pickup not knowing the Hagstrom connection :(

I went with it anyway. Now 40 some years later I'm thinking of righting the wrong and putting one in dis ol' ting, replacing the Guild with the Bi-sonic :)
    IMG_3010.JPG

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  5. Actually, my '64 Gibson EB-2 was already modified when I got it in 2001. Someone bothered to install crappy passive Jackson P-bass pickups in it. I then had active EMG's installed, which was a marked improvement, but I always had the intention of getting a Bisonic or Dark Star pickup put in. I remember contacting a luthier about this, and he strongly recommended against cutting more wood out. I later had a chance to acquire some Alembic P-bass pickups, but thought the price was too high (looking back now, it was pretty reasonable), so I just left it. The original Humbucker is damn amazing, though.

20210424_142707.jpg

DJ Bebop, cosmicevan and Morrighan like this.
  6. EdwardofHuncote

EdwardofHuncote I Still Dream of Jeannie Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    BA-1407

1967 SF-II.jpeg

7. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    I wonder why your luthier had a problem with it? There's a solid center block so plenty to work with. Maybe try a different luthier?

DJ Bebop and Morrighan like this.
  8. Maybe he thought it would further de-value the bass (if I really cared about that, I wouldn't have bought it the first place). It was at least 10 years ago, and now that I have a 60's Starfire, it doesn't matter anymore. I pretty much retired it (mostly due to weight and back issues) in 2016 when I got the SG anyways.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  9. RVBASS

RVBASS Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Recently Alembicized Guild Starfire

627ADAB9-F7A0-459A-844F-4566F3B44594.jpeg

10. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Morrighan, DJ Bebop and RVBASS like this.
  11. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    I had that conversation with the first luthier who modified my '67 Starfire (the legendary Jim Mouradian in Cambridge, MA, ca. 1994). Once he came out and heard me play, he decided that I knew what I was going for and helped me out.

Morrighan, DJ Bebop and RVBASS like this.
  12. Now these have got me thinking of replacing the bridge and nut on my SF for a little more sustain. I don't think Alembic sells them through their website, but I read if you contact them they might sell you some. There's a NOS Series I or II Alembic bridge/tailpiece on ebay for $850usd right now, but not sure if it would fit. Someone also suggested a Gibson Hipshot bridge, which is much cheaper - and at .656" it would probably fit - but it may not have the sustain of a thicker brass Alembic.

edwinhurwitz and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    Please, please, please, please call Mica before you give that guy $850. Weasel-alert.

14. Ya, seems kinda steep. I was gonna contact Mica first, anyways. Thanks for the heads up, tho.

15. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Man I just bought one of the new star fire basses with the p pickup. Great bass. Came broken tho, the push pull vintage switch killed the sound from d and g strings. Had to return it. The neck was also just too skinny for me. I'm used to 5 strings and p bass widths. Maybe a casady will scratch my itch!

edwinhurwitz likes this.
  16. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    As long as it's brass and there is a sustain block, it will do what you want. Other people make similar bridges, including Michael Dolan, an ex-Alembic employee who went out on his own.

$850 is outrageous, especially for something that may not fit.

Mosthigh and DJ Bebop like this.
  17. EdwardofHuncote

Aug 21, 2013
    Southwest Virginia
    :thumbsup: Michael did the work on my Starfire.

Mosthigh and DJ Bebop like this.
  18. I'm like oh I should check what mine is, look down and am like wait a second, that's mine! Might have to check back on them notes Edwin...

19. I contacted Michael, and he's going to make me a custom natural brass bridge/tailpiece and nut based on the specs I sent him (because I'm not going to send my bass a long ways and back and forth over the border through customs). Gave me a decent price. I'm going to get a local luthier to install it. Can't wait.

20. edwinhurwitz

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Oops! How did that happen?! BA1413. I better update the number with Heritage Insurance!

wisconsindead and DJ Bebop like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021