1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Phil lesh style bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drewphishes, Nov 1, 2017.

1. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    HEY tb looking for a bass to get a good phil like tone...

I have a peavey GV with a graphite neck thats gets pretty good phil modulus era tones and I can get pretty close with my american P bass with some equing but was looking for something else

maybe a jack casady? any other ideas.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    An Alembic? Is he still playing them?

BaileyMan, Ductapeman and Reedt2000 like this.
  3. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    he alternates now between his modulus and his ritter red dragon alot...

lets also say I need a cost effective option as alembics and ritters are not currently budget friendly for this guy!

TolerancEJ, TN WOODMAN and bholder like this.
  4. UpperBout

UpperBout

May 15, 2008
    Near Chicago Illinois USA
    Webmaster, Muckelroy Basses (GetAMuck.com)
    209610.jpg

After a long run with Ken Smith, Modulus, and Ritter and other basses. Phil is back with Alembic. He'll still use other basses from time-to-time. He actually has 2 of these, a medium scale and a short scale.

Regarding getting his tone, it really depends on which Phil-era you are talking about. But I tend to think of two main sonic footprints when it comes to Phil
    1) Flat wounds with a bit of dirt (the Godfather & the Osage Orange Alembic bass)
    2) Hi-fi (after about 1980, the Smiths, Moduluses, Ritter's, and these new Alembics)

There's no one recipe, and tone is primarily in the hands, but using a pick near the neck pickup and a broad "smile" type eq, with a very clean and powerful signal will get you in Phil's sonic neighborhood.

See also: The Gear of The Grateful Dead

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  5. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    He looks pretty happy. :)

6. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Yea just saw him last week and he had his ritter red dragon. Man sure has alot of basses!

7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    I bet he even has more than I do, no mean feat, that. :D (He certainly has more nicer basses than I do, though I've got nothing to complain about, either, hehe.) ;)

HaphAsSard likes this.
  8. UpperBout

UpperBout

May 15, 2008
    Near Chicago Illinois USA
    Webmaster, Muckelroy Basses (GetAMuck.com)
    I saw/heard this bass at the Fare The Well run here at Soldier Field in Chicago. Through the mega-bajillion watts of the PA, you could literally hear the pick hitting the individual wraps on the bass string. But it was deep and musical. Phil had the entire stadium grooving - so much so that the balcony we were in was flexing in time to the music.

9. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    They always have had the best PA systems going...

timplog and Morrighan like this.
  10. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    Sounds like you may have had a lil help form owsley as well on that one

UpperBout, BurningSkies and Glasiron like this.
  11. Here is Phil Lesh’s Ritter Eye of Horus. The Ritter Jupiter 6 is probably my favourite design, ever.

Phil Lesh - EYE OF HORUS

0912-1.jpg

12. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    cool. love all the phil lesh love here, but not helpful for my question. I already know all about phils basses.
    What I am looking for is a cost effective bass to try and achieve some of his tones!

SwitchGear likes this.
  13. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    This one perhaps?
    ur-stringed-musical-instrument-can-play-Mini-Guitar-educational-development-toys-for.jpg_640x640.jpg
    Sounds in the ballpark to me at least.

Judge for yourself:

getbent, TolerancEJ and Lesfunk like this.
  14. mp40smg

mp40smg Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    the problem is.. Phil has had a ton of sounds.. You could get a "real" Phil sound with a Gibson SG bass and stock Fender head and cab. You could go for a Guild Starfire Like object and Dark Star/ Alembify it.. G&L, Etc, Etc... The Irwin with SD P pups..

15. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    im thinkin a casady bass or a starfire

Mustang Surly and bholder like this.
  16. mp40smg

mp40smg Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    The Epi pup/ size position would probably problematic if the intention is to modify it to Dark Star or Alembic electronics.

I'd steer towards a Starfire-ish something with 2 pick ups. Depending on vairalbles, maybe even look at the Warwick...

17. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    honestly probably wont do too much modding of it...

my peave GV with the graphite neck comes pretty close to his modulus tone with a bit of eq, maybe ill just start using thatmore

18. aaronious

aaronious Supporting Member

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    You need a Kawai FIIB

19. drewphishes

Feb 14, 2017
    havent seen one of those for sale in a while!

20. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Naw that's real. Between Phil and Mickey and Bill, the entire building moves. It's quite impressive to me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 20, 2021