1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Lesh w John Scofield

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by silvertone, Jan 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    I live in SF and feel privileged to live, work and play music here.
    I also get to see a ton of live shows here and in the past month have caught Chris Thile's Live From Here at Davies Symphony Hall, Tommy Emmanuel at Great American Music Hall and Victor Wooten Trio (W Dennis Chambers) at the Regency.

The past couple of nights I've been witness to some pretty potent jams at Terrapin Crossroads with Phil Lesh & Friends - this time with John Scofield, Anders Osbourne, Jeff Chimenti, John Molo, Grahame Lesh, (also w Ross James and Alex Korford.)

Personally, I tend to enjoy the Garcia emulators (Stu Allen, Jeff Matson, John Kadlecik) but the presence of Scofield basically tosses the "rule book," out the window and replaces it with a fully mature voice that's had 45 years to work out the kinks. Scofield blazed fire and fury over Grateful Dead music. It didn't always work, but when it did, it was face melting and powerful.

Anders Osbourne also contributed a lot but has a tone and approach that is slightly less impactful and hasn't had as much time to bloom... With the freight train that is John Molo on drums, the melodic beauty of Jeff Chimenti on Keys and Phil Lesh doing his counterpoint, third lead line there were a lot of moments of bliss - though purists will argue that this ain't no part of nothing. I enjoyed it immensely! Hope some of you will too?

Phil Lesh & Friends in the Grate Room
    Terrapin Crossroads - January 25, 2018
    Vid Caps by Ted Silverman via Sony RX100ii
    Phil Lesh, Grahame Lesh, John Scofield,
    Anders Osbourne, Jeff Chimenti, John Molo
    Alex Korford, Ross James

Jack Straw

The Wheel

Down By the River

Burning on the Inside

Into the Mystic

Heart of Gold

Wharf Rat

St Stephen- The Eleven

The Other One

All Along the Watchtower

E: Keep On Rockin' in the Free World
    Keep On Rockin' in the Free World - Phil Lesh & Friends at Terrapin Crossroads - January 26, 2018

From Thursday Night:
    Unbroken Chain
    Unbroken Chain - Phil Lesh & Friends at Terrapin Crossroads - January 25, 2018

BrianBessignano likes this.
  2. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    Thanks for sharing. If you get a chance check out the Phil and Friends, "Live at the Warfield" CD or CD/DVD. One of the bonus features is an interview/jam session with Phil, Scofield, and Greg Osby.

C/S,
    Rev J

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021