Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Lesh

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by blong1, Apr 17, 2001.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    and got a chance to see 'Phil and Friends' last night in birmingham, AL and OMG!!! this guy was smoking. the whole show was like one big, long, jam. the shortest song they played was maybe 10 minutes. the rest of them were like 15+ minutes jams then went straight into another song. the music stopped maybe 2 times (except for the intermission..they played two sets). this was the line-up

phil lesh-bass
    warren haynes-guitar
    rob barraco-keys
    jimy herring-guitar
    john molo-drums

i was just wondering what you all thought about him. it was an amazing show and i urge you to check it out if the show comes your way.

2. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    I think Lesh was a great bassist who got stuck in a particularly ****ty band. The Dead with their 45 minute twangy jams was too much for me. The Dead just sucks ass to me. Lame music. But Lesh, he was awesome. :)

3. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    yeah, i agree to an extent. i never was a big dead fan, but there are some somes that i do like. and i don't know if any of the songs last night were from the 'GD' (i'm sure some probably were), but it was killer to see those guys do that show...just get up there, do some improv stuff and jam it out.

4. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    My Self I always liked the Dead but Phil was the best in the Band

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    While never a "Deadhead", I was a fan of some of their stuff. I've only had the luxury of seeing them once (1992):mad: but used to listen to a lot of bootlegs.

The cool thing about The Dead was those long improv jams!:cool: Sometimes they worked really well, and other times even the band was less than satisfied. But, the fact that they went up on stage with only a basic outline of a song or two and would actually decide ON STAGE what to play next coupled with the fact that they just kept feeding off each other was amazing! Phil Lesh does some remarkable things on bass, though I'm not sure he even considers himself a good bass guitarist. Oh well...we're all the richer for having the experience, nonetheless!

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I have always liked Lesh. He plays good foundation, plays well in harmony, plays good rhythm, can jam for hours, doesn't need 15 minute breaks, can run a set 2 hours without collapsing.

He does a lot of things that as a musician, I respect. Whether you love the Dead or hate them, they were one of the strongest bands on the touring scene for years. There following was cultlike for almost 30 years. Very few rock bands had performed as long and as often.

I am glad to see Phil out and about doing gigs.
    Great guy and a great bassplayer.

Thor

7. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Phil Lesh is the reason I play Bass I was a huge dead head as a little guy and eventually started noticing what a bass is.

Then I heard the funk and I wanted to be a bass player.

I dont play nothin like him and I very often wince when falters while playing and smile at his sucsess's. Any time I play a dead cover I allways play from a traditional player derection and enjoy doing that.

I love Phil

AJ

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Don't speak ill of the Dead. They're very cool. They have/had style! And, they had some cool records. Rock On!

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My absolute fave Dead moments are on
    Live Dead, the second album side or first CD -
    The Eleven, as well as the same song on Live at The Fillmore, the verses weren't done in that, but Lesh just tears it up.

Those 2 CD's really show how awesome a player he could be, when unleshed ...