Phil Lesh's greatest basslines

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Oct 22, 2003.

1. What do you guys think is the best song Phil Lesh has ever played in/for. I just recently got into The Grateful dead and I need more Phil lesh! I personally think "Fire on the Mountain" is his best bassline, but I havent heard everything. So any input would be great. Peace
  2. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I like "China Cat Sunflower" - seems real easy, but what a bitch to play well! (like most Lesh-isms)
  3. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    The best phil lines can be heard on live recordings.

Check out the "scarlet begonias" from the cornell show in 1977. That line is amazing. His tone is enough to make you drool, but the way he plays that song is inspiring. This can be downloaded through kazaa or morpheus.

Also, check out the "one from the vault" album.

"help on the way-->slipknot-->franklins tower"
    "eyes of the world"
    "the other one"

Phil is the man. No doubt.
  4. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Shakedown STreet is a very funky bassline too... I think there's a good one on that Cornell show.
  5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Probally 5-8-77 arguably the best dead show ever/of the era.

The recording that circulates is a "for recoring" mix off the board mixed by a lady thats that was her job take indiviual feels and mix on the fly to 1/4 in reel to reel.sounds amazing, phil sounds huge!

6. Dee-tuned

Oct 13, 2003
    Southern Va
    I was wondering if anyone would ever give Phil Lesh some props!

Definitely overlooked (I wouldn't say underated)

My personal favorite is "Cassidy". Maybe one of the million versions of "Turn on your lovelight.
  7. NO props to Phil before me? Not possible!!

Well he is definately a kick ass bassist, he is now my second favorite right below Jaco. He just has such a feel and knows when to play and when not to play (Phil Lesh that is).
  8. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    I, too, have agree that his playing on, "China Cat Sunflower", is pretty darn rad!:D
  9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    No doubt about it. 5/8/77 exists in EVERY true Deadhead's collection. 5/7/77 is hellacious as well and has always been one of my faves.
  10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Wow....I wish this thing had spell check.

5-7 is that Boston? is that the 10 minute Mississppi? That whole tour is just so amazing and all those great betty boards that are around..... I'm going to put one on.

11. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA

If anybody wants some Phil, I'll happily send some shows on CD, whether the 5/8/77 Cornell show or some other fat stuff.

The catch is I'll put a CD of my band in the envelope, in hopes someone will listen to it before using it as a coaster for "dank" brews.

12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I'd love some of that action! I'd love to hear your band
  13. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Cool! Email a good mailing address and I'll send a padded envelope o' discs within a week.

Lesh is more,
  14. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    have any of you picked up the Closing of Winterland dvd? i got it tuesday when it came out. phil sounds ridiculous as always. ive always thought of his tone as my dream sound.

As far as awesome basslines of his - how could anyone have not mentioned The Music Never Stopped?!
  15. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun

Favorite studio basswork is probably Help on the way-->Slipknot
  16. atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Hello Phil Phans. If my screen name wasn't a big enough clue already, let me tell you, I am also a huge dead phan. Phil is definitely da man.

If you go to you'll find a link to some recent soundboard shows available for download. The band is "phil and friends" which features phil, warren haynes(g), jimmy herring(g), rob barraco(k), and john molo(d). Awesome stuff and great sounding recordings.

As for phil's best lines? I'd say any of them. He is most definitely not your prototypical bass player. All his lines are very melodic. He is one of a kind.
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    This thread is asking about Phil's best bass lines more than it is about Phil in general as a bassist, so Im moving it to recordings.
  18. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Couldnt agree more. Phil is a big inspiration for me. As for his best bass lines, it would be impossible for me to narrow it down. When Phil plays its like one great big "best bass line!" :cool: :bassist:
  19. AlvarHanso

Jun 20, 2011
    Hey was searching the internets to see if anyone knew of any versions of Scarlet Begonias where Phil plays those absolutely ridiculous slides a la 5/8/77. It just occurred to me today (after having tapes and cds of that amazing show for about 14 years) that the reason I love that particular version so much is that I've never heard one where he's constantly sliding up and down the fretboard. Jerry's playing is out of this world on this version as well (my favorite Jerry solo ever is from this Scarlet), but especially with the Betty Board, Phil just OWNS this one, and I can't recall ever hearing him do that before or since. I've got plenty of shows from '77-'78, and have listened to a lot of 80s shows (not my favorite era), and love Phil & Friends and have liked some of The Dead and Furthur stuff I've heard, but I have yet to come across anything anywhere close to this sliding technique used throughout a song. Any help is much appreciated!

PS: China Cat is exceptional fun to play! I love how Phil uses the 5th as his essential root for a lot of stuff, really cool idea. And Eyes of the World is his piece de resistance in my book, with 6/28/74 (ENCORE, no less) being probably my favorite. His solo is so blistering, I bet Jerry was taking mental notes! ;) Help/Slip is some ridiculous playing as well, and Franklin's is easy, but equally fun!
  20. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009