1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Lynnot

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Basroil, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    He's great bassist/songwriter/singer, but I hardly hear him talked about. Whats your opinion on him? Good? Bad? Overrated? I for one think he is very under-appreciated.

2. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    You probably don't hear much about him 'cause he's been dead for a while.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I dig Thin Lizzy a lot, but I doubt Phil Lynott would fit into the 'underrated' bin. He was the perfect fit in his band. IMO, Thin Lizzy is altogether underrated.

4. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    He's not so much underrated as forgotten, unfortunately.

He was definitely a solid player and brought a lot to the table in Thin Lizzy.

5. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Phil was brilliant. Solid bass player, great songwriter/singer. Also one cool ass dude. Played a lot of different basses too: Rick 4001, Dan Armstrong plexi, P bass, Ibanez, & some strange one at the end (Sykes years) that I can't identify. Can any of y'all help me out with that one?

6. dennish83377

dennish83377

Nov 3, 2005
    I think Phil's greatest strenghs were his songwriting and his live performances. I especially like the live performances of Holy War, Still in Love with You, and Thunder/Lightning on the Life-Live album

7. Fill

Fill

Oct 5, 2004
    i do not think underrated but he was good at what he did killer song writer.

8. Thin Lizzy is one of my favorite 70s hard rock bands!:)

Phil was killer, he could lay down the metal(Emerald), the prog(Black Rose) , the psychedelic grooves(Opium Trail) , and some serious funk ( Dancing in the Moonlight, Johnny the Fox meets Jimmy the Weed). Phil also has a great soulful croon in his voice. His lyrics get a lot of criticism, but I think his lyrics were cool as hell.

Basically, I love Thin Lizzy!:D

9. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Correct me if I'm wrong, (I can't remember where I read this) but I believe that Sting lists (or listed?) Phil as one of his influences.

10. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    BTW, there is a statue of Phil, with bass, in Dublin. Not too many bass players have statues in their honor:

Phil Lynott

11. Basroil

Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    Yeah, thats pretty cool.

12. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    The best quote about Phil I read recently was from Gary Moore..(Shock)..."If Phil was alive to-day he'd check into the Priory just to get Kate Moss and he'd "chin" Pete Doherty on the way out and do us all a favour.

:p

13. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    It was a Roland G88.

http://www.hendrixguitars.com/Rol33Ba.htm

14. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    When I was a young player in NY, I played in a band that did a ton of Thin Lizzy tunes. Loved Phil then and still throw the Live album on the player every now and then. Solid player, good songwriter, rockin band!!!!! RIP Phil

15. Check out Vagabonds of the Western World for some great bass playing from Phil. They still had quite a folky feel at this time and the bass is well to the front of the mix.
    The bassline to Little Girl in Bloom is one of my all-time faves, very simple double-stops that carry the whole song. I thinks it's his Rick on this album.

Attached Files:

16. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Little Girl In Bloom!

A forgotten Lizzy classic. Yup, that's his Rick alright.

17. Fo' Shizzle

Fo' Shizzle

Aug 28, 2003
    "Still in Love With You" from the live album............one example of a man's soul laid open for all to see. I love that song.

18. PhR

PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    Finland
    "Little Girl In Bloom" is one of my favourites too. "Gonna Creep Up On You" from the same album has a nice throaty bass tone, could be a Jazz Bass.

I've always liked "Randolph's Tango". It has this nice Kevin Ayers calypso feel. 'Though it wasn't a smash Whisky -followup hit single Decca probably wished for...:D

19. Mississippi Al

Mississippi Al

Feb 17, 2006
    Yeah, he used the Roland Bass, painted black with what appears to be a Fender Telecaster or early Precision Bass Mirror Pickguard. I read somwhere that the Midi stuff was removed to lighten it up.

Philip was the first real Frontman rockstar who played bass.

I understand he is held in very high regard in Ireland and his band Thin Lizzy surpassed Led Zeppelin as far as popularity in Europe. A real shame they really never reached grat success in the US. The last tour I was party too in 1982-1983 had them playing really small bars. A far cry from the Queen/Lizzy tour which is the first time I caught this act live.

I believe that if he were alive today he would have kept up with the changes in the industry and abandoned the whole cock rocker thing.

20. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Phil had serious charisma and was just a brilliant man...talented and humble. He's sorely missed