1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Lynott

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Gluvhand, Jan 4, 2017.

1. image. Today marks the 31 year anniversary of the passing of Phil Lynott. I won't go into why he was important to me or the impact I believe he had. I'll just say 31 years ago I was a gutted young man that has never quite gotten over his passing.

2. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    A superb composer/lyricist, singer, bassist, and frontman. Major loss on every level.

3. Simply and perfectly put.

OldDog52 and A.K. like this.
  4. image. Here he is with his partner in crime, Jimmy Bain.

A.K. likes this.
  5. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Overwhelming talent in that picture. They were each other's kids' godfathers. I don't think it's a co-incidence that Jimmy's career pretty much imploded less than three years after Phil's death and never really recovered, apart from his brief, supposedly sober reunion with Dio circa 2002.

I doubt Phil did more drugs or guzzled more booze than Jimmy did. But Jimmy's lifespan was 32 years longer, which means he lived almost twice as long as Phil did.

I put it down to genes. Jimmy had a Keith Richards-like constitution. Phil didn't.

6. As far as the smack went, I think Lynott was the teacher and Bain the student. Billy Idol has stated it was Lynott that introduced him to heroin so I gather Lynott had a head start on Bain. It was septicemia that officially killed Lynott, not heroin directly, so who knows how long he could've gone on.

His last few years were just horribly sad. The heroin, losing his grandmother, who basically raised him, his marriage falling apart, Lizzy disbanding, his solo career tanking, and the "Feed the World" snub from two friends, Midge Ure and Bob Geldof, all took their tolls.

A.K. likes this.
  7. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Is there a good, in-depth biography of Phil, or a memoir by someone who knew him? I would love to read it.

8. My Boy written by his mother, Philomena, is very good as is The Ballad Of The Thin Man by Stuart Bailie. The Ballad is an authorized bio of Lynott and Lizzy. Also, there is the Behind The Music which was very good. Probably find it on YouTube. I do have a few DVDs that are ok.

A.K. likes this.
  9. A.K.

A.K.

Jan 9, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Here's a rare picture of Phil and Jimmy jamming on stage together--with BOTH on bass.

Attached Files:

Gluvhand likes this.
  10. That's a Greedy Bastards gig. The Greedies were Thin Lizzy, Steve Jones and the drummer from the Pistols, Chris Spedding, and Bain. They did a few shows and released a few singles, most notably A Merry Jingle, a Christmas novelty ditty.

A.K. likes this.
  11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Gotta love Phil. He is still missed.

IMG_0678.JPG

12. My god, has it been that long? Wow.

I was gutted too. I learned so much from observing this guy. He was the whole package, great frontman and singer, excellent stage presence, and a hell of a good songwriter and lyricist. Unique, one of a kind, still missed.