1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Lynott

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dougjwray, Mar 23, 2021.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I swear this isn't one of "those" trolling threads. I honestly just want to learn more about this guy.
    So many people revere him, and the only thing I've ever heard is "The Boys are Back in Town."
    Please recommend some songs which you feel display what made him special.
    Like, was he a virtuoso? A groover? A great composer of parts? I'm having trouble getting a handle on him. I currently don't have enough familiarity to have an opinion.
    Thanks!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Hella groove...

3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Thanks-- yes, great groove on that one! Normally, I'm not a fan of chorus on bass... but with the pick, this one works.

4. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY

I love the walking bass line in the outro, wish they'd kept going...

EatS1stBassist and Count Bassie like this.
  5. Acidic Pool

Acidic Pool

Feb 16, 2021
    I actually just listened to their record "Jailbreak" for the first time a few weeks ago bc I was wondering the same thing as you, OP. I think it's more that he was a good writer and a sensitive, interesting guy, plus it's extra cool bc he's the bass player and has a unique background. Solid tasteful playing, nothing that really stuck out to me but that's kinda typical for the genre.

Artman, bobba66 and EatS1stBassist like this.
  6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Showdown has an excellent groovy bassline that's worth checking out. Cowboy Song, while not particularly remarkable on bass, is simply an excellent song worth listening to. I always enjoyed how raw and admittedly a little sloppy the playing is on The Rocker.

7. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    The Cowboy Song isn't hard on bass, true enough, but it's quite difficult to sing it while playing bass because of the syncopation between the two. One of the more difficult singing & playing parts I've ever mastered well enough to play out. Gratifying once you get it though.

8. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    yeah the most remarkable thing about Phil Lynott for me is the deceptively simple playing while singing really, really, really well. I can barely play Ramones covers while chewing gum.

9. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thin Lizzy was awesome in concert.

thetaxmiser, bholder, Rezdog and 6 others like this.
  10. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    In general I'd say that Phil had quite a talent for rhythmically separating what his vocals were doing from what his bass was doing. Even the line from Showdown, which is quite easy to play on its own (and a REALLY nice part) can be very challenging to nail while attempting the vocal.

11. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    This above. I wouldn't say virtuoso but like his work none the less.

12. I would recommend listening to every album he made. Even the Solo stuff and the stuff with Gary Moore.

13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I agree he gets overlooked on best lists. When he does get a little busy it’s at the right time so you don’t notice it unless you’re zeroed on the bass.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  14. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    Bass player + song writer = increased likelihood of good parts, and bass player + band leader = increased likelihood of bass being heard in the mix! Propulsive might a good word for his style.

15. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    Not virtuoso stuff, but sounding real good. Thin Lizzy was such a great band!

Clank Plank, Rezdog, deff and 3 others like this.
  16. Madhouse27

Madhouse27

Sep 19, 2016
    Another great Thin Lizzy tune!

17. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    AZ, USA
    The most charismatic bass player ever. End of discussion.

Cavemanfrmc, PsyDocHill, deff and 7 others like this.
  18. Shepsdad

Shepsdad

Sep 22, 2019
    I’m usually not really big on greatest hits albums, but “Dedication” is just a non stop ride of great songs, great musicians, a Phil being Phil. It’s the album that got me into Thin Lizzy years ago. Phils vocals on “still in love with you” just get me every single time I hear it.

19. bholder

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY

mudpup, ibasso, ElGoodo and 3 others like this.
  20. This could've been a Van Morrison tune. So very Irish...

Madhouse27, ibasso, MCF and 2 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021