Phil Lynott

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dougjwray, Mar 23, 2021.

1. I like what Phil did, and his bass sound too. It was just plain genuine, not to mention he was a very talented individual, who made what he had to offer work. As a bass player, and as a musician, there went an enviable life. Raising a glass. Slainte!

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Estimator Extraordinaire Supporting Member

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    Phil was as famous for being the first Irishman to put Ireland on the Rock and Roll map of the world as anything else. His first instrument was actually guitar and he took up the bass because someone had to do it. He surrounded himself with first rate musicians. The drummer, Brian Downey, was as good a drummer as you could get. Lead guitarists included Gary Moore and John Sykes of Whitesnake fame. Rhythm guitarist Scott Gorham was just as responsible for bringing a solid rhythm section as were Downey and Lynott. Here's a video of Sykes bringing some shredding to the Thin Lizzy sound.

3. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I've always loved the Bad Reputation record. This is one of my favorite tracks by them.

4. It was important to get this music played... so he played bass. Fair enough, and well done too.

5. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH

I loved the Night Life record. Hard to find maybe. Saw him live one time, became a believer. After 'The Boys are back in Town' wasn't that interested anymore. Too commercial, rather shallow. My opinion only, but the guy was a major talent. Find that 'Night Life' record and you'll see.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
  6. Cool bridge.

7. Phil was a big fan of Van, especially his song writing. I remember reading in an interview Phil gave way back, probably the late 70's early 80's?, where he mentioned van's lyric writing. He referenced the song Astral Weeks, saying something along the lines of, who else could fit the word Viaducts into a line and make it scan.
    The opening lines of the song being, "If I ventured in the slipstream, between the viaducts of your dreams."

JMacBass65 and Count Bassie like this.
  8. To me, "virtuosos" are YAWN! Give me someone who can lay down a groove and carry the song. That's my kind of virtuoso. Just my $0.02.

9. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    I think Van Morrison beat him to that, tbh. "Gloria" came out in 1964.

Relayer71 likes this.
  11. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Not a fan of the band myself, but man if you don't "get it" after watching this, there's just no hope for you.

12. TrevorR

TrevorR

Oct 3, 2015
    Near London, UK
    Good bass player - tick. Great singer - tick. Amazing songwriter- tick. But so far no one has said what a fantastic front man and show man he was. Saw Lizzy live twice (81 and 83) and he was mesmerising to watch.

Live And Dangerous is a must listen/watch album. Perfect classic rock.

“Anyone out there got a little Irish in them? [crowd cheers] Any of the girls out there want a little more Irish in them?”

13. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok

14. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok

Criswell60 likes this.
  15. He was a much "busier" and interesting bass player when Lizzy was a three-piece. He pulled it off well. Great groove and nice, fluid playing. 'Gonna Creep Up on You' is a great example.

16. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    He was a great performer and musician, and a genuinely nice guy. And quite tall! I saw a lot of Lizzy gigs, and quite a few farewell shows. I particularly liked the 3-piece era with Eric Bell.

17. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Not sure I think of VM as "rock" tbh. Certainly not rock like Thin Lizzy were rock. Maybe I've just heard brown-eyed girl too many times.

FRoss6788 likes this.
  18. Mickp

Mickp

Apr 19, 2015
    Austin, TX
    Oh yeah, saw him towards the end in Brum, right up against the stage. Not my core thing, but fun and rocking'.. I also get to play and sing Cowboy Song in one band. I like to introduce it as "a song about Texas [where we are] written by an Irishman, , and sung by an Englishman [me]". Also, if you are of a mind, check out "Cowboy Song - The Authorized Biography" by Graeme Thompson. Phil was a tortured soul.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  19. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    I guess one person's 'slop' may be another person's 'expression.' I consider much of his playing to be expressive. And likewise is his singing, a lot of relaxed variation but still wrapping around the groove; his singing was usually telling stories, not just singing lyrics.

After spending a little over two years starting to learn to sing I can confidently state that doing both of those things simultaneously and quite independently, and doing them well, is extremely difficult and worthy of respect. I still struggle with just simply mechanically playing while singing, much less being proficient at both. I'm finally only to the 'adequate' point, I believe.

I can promise you that no matter how much natural talent he had, getting both that smooth required a lot of dedication, time, effort and belief in what he was doing. You can't not admire that in an artist.

20. Gloria was the big hit for the band Them in the mid 60's, at the time that was pretty gritty and rocky compared to what was going on in popular music generaly. What is/was rock is pretty time sensitive. But yes, I don't regard VM as a rocker either, (though with the band Them, he was certainly more rock than his latter output.) my comment was in response to a particular statement, about a particular time and peoples views at that time.

Still, enough of sidetracking the OP's thread. Phil Lynott was one hell of a stage presence , whether or not he was a bass virtuoso, (whatever that is) he was accomplished enough on the instrument to play competently, while he sang and put on one heck of a visual show all at the same time. (As well as writing his own material.)

lowdownthump and Count Bassie like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021