Phil Lynott

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dougjwray, Mar 23, 2021.

1. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    Phil is one of the underrated riff masters. I highly recommend every bass player learn some Lizzy, because their tunes are a blast to play!

bjelkeman, LostJohnny, Haros and 4 others like this.
  2. Paul Weekes

Paul Weekes

Jan 3, 2021
    Frontman of easily one of the best hard rock bands ever, very underrated on this side of the pond and if it's not your taste fair but any negative comment about Phil and Thin Lizzy will show your extreme ignorance. And of course please send me your stuff because I'd love to hear what you're writing, playing and singing. Thank you for bringing these kinds round again... Please go on Youtube and dive in, there's lots, cheers!

3. Yaralag

Yaralag "Oh, it looks good on you though!"

May 7, 2015
    Houston
    Is Phil iconic enough to drop this much on a bass? I think Lynott.... :D

Capture.PNG

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    lowdownthump likes this.
  4. I think part of the aura was that he was such a great rock star and frontman. Talk about larger than life!

JMacBass65 likes this.
  5. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    I always respect when a band can own a cover like TL did "Whiskey in a Jar".

And when a writer can write about chocolate stains on their pants.

6. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Australia
    Dancing in the Moonlight... I liked the bass line to that one.

Oddly and JMacBass65 like this.
  7. Yeah, that sums it up well, that was awesome!

This cannot be overstated. He was the total package, fantastic singer, solid and tasteful player, great songwriter, dynamic frontman, and looked every bit the rock star. I mean, check this dude out -

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

When you consider the stereotypical bass player is lurking in the back by the drummer while the singer and guitar player soak up the spotlight, and that many (most?) of us are content back there, is it any wonder this guy gets our attention and admiration? Dude is a bada$$!

I learned that for my band years ago but we never did anything with it. I'll need to blow the dust off of it, it's fun to play.

8. Sid s

Sid s

Dec 22, 2016
    Western NC, USA

R.I.P. poor junkie.

9. According to google Phil Lynott was 6'1" tall. (185.4cm since he was Irish.)

10. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    With those 3" heeled boots and that 'fro, he was close to 6'7"!

11. pigpen ridding

pigpen ridding

Dec 30, 2020
    Earth
    strangely they called him an irish singer but he was born in england

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  12. And furthermore, the United Kingdom didn't complete Metrication for 20 years or so after his birth.

13. It's the whole package. Not a virtuoso on bass by any means, but his songwriting was superb (of course, hat's my opinion and it doesn't mean you will like what he did): the songs, the sound, the vibe, the voice... all contributed to form that persona that I, and others, find so appealing.

Listen to the albums "Renegade", "Chinatown", "Black Rose" and "Bad Reputation"... if halfway through that you are not enjoying it, then it's safe to assume you just don't like Thin Lizzy. If, instead, you are enjoying them... keep exploring the rest of the albums. The older stuff has some beautiful jewels in there.

14. But he grew up in Ireland and that's where he was formed.

When people ask me where I'm from, I don't generally mention my birthplace where I only lived for 5 years, but the place where my family moved next which is where I became 'me', if you know what I mean?

15. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Vagabonds of the Western World is a classic.

16. pigpen ridding

pigpen ridding

Dec 30, 2020
    Earth
    oh yeah he was very much into irish history he loved the place and talked a lot on stage about ireland i was lucky enough to see thin lizzy a couple of times and he always mentioned ireland in every show

Count Bassie likes this.
  17. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Lizzy V1 with Eric Bell had a strong Irish folk music influence, most obviously in Whisky in the Jar.

StevieMac and Count Bassie like this.
  18. Concerning feel for melody through changes and arranging, there was a similar understanding you could hear sometimes. There's little doubt that Van was certainly influential, genre aside.

19. Fender is overpriced anyway... and producing a color/pickguard/fretboard wood scheme from what they have in the shop? Lol... k-ching!
    Doesn't have anything to do with anyone except the marketing dept at Fender.

Yaralag likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021