Phil Lynott

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dougjwray, Mar 23, 2021.

1. And these aren’t even the pics from the after-party!

2. Yes, a couple of quotes here that indicate Phil's feelings about Van.

This quote relating to Dancing In The Moonlight,
    “Phil was a huge Van Morrison fan. He loved the guy, loved his lyrics, loved his voice and the way he presented things,” says Scott Gorham. “I think a lot of Van rubbed off on Phil. And although he never sought to overtly copy Van, maybe this was Phil paying homage in some way.”

Emer Reynold, the director of the documentary of Phil, "Phil Lynott. Songs For While I'm Away" shared: “As the years wore on he talked a lot about Jimi Hendrix and you could certainly see in the early days a huge amount of Van Morrison."
    “He was obsessed with Astral Weeks, he used to play it like 24 hours a day."

Two of Irelands greatest musical story tellers.

Count Bassie likes this.
  3. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    As said, if you listen to "LIVE AND DANGEROUS" you can hear and feel the energy Phil and the guys have.
    I found that by listening to each song broken down that there are some simple parts with just enough "what did he play there" parts to make each song fun to learn.
    The best thing about Phil was that he learned to play guitar first and sing then went to bass. He really had such a cool way of phrasing some of his songs and a "FEEL" that a lot of other musicians didn't have.
    Just think of the music that he could have been making later in life if he would have taken better care of himself.

4. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    Live and Dangerous

StevieMac and JMacBass65 like this.
  5. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    I was - and still am - a fan.
    This was the first of a few TL covers my band played back in the day.
    So much fun to play, and it always got a great response!

JMacBass65 likes this.
  6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North

Absolutely. We used to play BABIT. I sang lead and played bass. Most challenging tune we ever tried. Never gigged it.

JMacBass65 likes this.
  7. tvbop

tvbop

Mar 11, 2021
    Something so crisp and economical about the way Robertson and Gorham play together....and then of course Phil Lynott the icing on the cake....all of of them very talented. Remember hearing jailbreak for the first time...that crunchy tone...brilliant. Great tunes.

8. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I wonder when the new documentary will be available to stream in the US?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
  9. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Man, I think this is pretty accurate. The guy just oozes personality. He’s the ultimate bass-playing frontman to me.

I’m a big fan of the storytelling songwriting too. There’s no politics, agendas, weird cryptic messages... just life.

10. dusterdan70

dusterdan70 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2014
    So Cal
    The guy has the most expensive sig Fender bass I’ve personally ever seen; makes the Dusty Hill look affordable. A legend by any measure...

lowdownthump likes this.
  11. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    DIVERSE, great writer, performer and player. Did not overplay, more of a minimalist than flashy. So many great songs in many styles. Check out "Emerald", "Holy War", "Black Rose", "Massacre", "Bad Reputation", really any and all of it. I've heard the "Boys Are Back.." story TOO MANY TIMES. It's like if you only heard "All You Need Is Love" by the Beatles.....

JMacBass65 likes this.
  12. LostJohnny

LostJohnny

Mar 11, 2020
    NYC
    I love playing "Opium Trail", which has already been mentioned here. Other ones I think showcase him well:

"Bad Reputation"

"Waiting for an Alibi"

"Chinatown"

13. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    Yeah, I'd never consider Van Morrison to be rock. But the post mentioned rock and roll and I think Them certainly qualified as rock and roll (or R&B, which was basically the same thing back then). Thin Lizzy certainly were the first hard rock band of note from Ireland.

14. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    But he was an Irish national (and did most of his growing up in Dublin).

15. Valvehead

Valvehead

Jun 21, 2020
    Europe
    The boys are back must be one of the greatest songs in rock history. It is only natural this song is a first acquaintance for many people. Phil was a natural, with gigantic stage presence. Surrounded by the best of guitarists he would still be the main feat on stage with Thin Lizzy. This is quite rare.

16. I was a big Thin Lizzy fan, I bought many albums, It's Phil's expressive vocals and twin lead guitars as the primary focus. Nothing too fancy on bass, but as the total package it was great rock.

17. Hummergeist

Hummergeist Commercial User

Jul 21, 2020
    London
    Ableton Live tutorials and product reviews for Computer Music magazine.
    They all left room for each other, and it paid off.

18. Phil would leave center stage and let the guitars fly. He'd be in there jamming or just step off... it was a band.

JMacBass65 and Hummergeist like this.
  19. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    OP here...
    Thanks, everyone. I've got a lot to listen to, now!

DrMole, JMacBass65 and Count Bassie like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021