1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Lynott

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dougjwray, Mar 23, 2021.

1. kevin wells

kevin wells

Aug 11, 2016
    Texas
    Thin Lizzy had such a distinct, original sound and approach to song writing. Phil was an early hero when I first started learning to play bass. Cranking up Johnny the Fox is such a treat, a funky, slinky but rocking track.

2. Yellow Bang66

Yellow Bang66

Jun 5, 2019
    Just wanna chime in, I dont get all the "hype /High praise either, but ill reserve my criticism until I have to learn his songs! I from the Geddy, Squire, Harris & Gezzer school/era of top bass players, So when someone tells me about a Great bass player I expect to hear some fancy Licks and Fast playing. so excuse me if I dont concur! I felt similar about Macca until I had to learn some songs! Now he's a Favorite! Ill reserve my judgement on him for now. But you have to understand where Im coming from when I say, "Meh.":bag::rolleyes:

3. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    My very first concert was them opening for Blue Oyster Cult.

Clever Moniker and kevin wells like this.
  4. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Phil didn't play bass to show off technique, he played it to be right for the songs he wrote and the band he fronted.

I like players like Squire, Pastorius, Percy Jones myself but I have to say I never got the whole Rush/Geddy thing. It's all personal taste...

5. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    Brilliant bassists. Had one of the best lines in rock, too. Musically (Black Rose) and in audience engagement:

"Are there any girls here?" (cheering)
    "Are there any girls here with a bit of Irish in them?" (cheering)
    "Are there any girls here who would like a bit more Irish in them?" (MASSIVE CHEERING)
    ;)
    Peace,
    SoundSupport

6. Valvehead

Valvehead

Jun 21, 2020
    Europe
    Aha! I am not alone. Squire is the reason I started playing bass, but I never digged Geddy. Thought I was being a weirdo since most people seem to like both or neither. I also never 'got' Entwistle.

ficelles likes this.
  7. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Just to be contrary I also like Entwistle :) And am quite a fan of Burke Shelley's playing, another one you'd maybe not think of as a flashy player.

gungrog and Valvehead like this.
  8. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thin Lizzy, Phil Lynott, some of my absolute favorit music. I saw Lizzy live twice and Lynott once in a club. It was with Snowy White, later with Sykes, so not my favourite period with them, but still. Phil in a club was memorable, unfortunately he was in a bad way and not sober. Still could perform, but it saddened me. Glad I got to see them though.

Live and Dangerous plays at my home probably every month.

9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada/Motown
    Greetings from the North,

I saw Phil Lynott with Thin Lizzy in Ottawa back in 77 (If I remember correctly) They opened up for Queen and the one thing I do remember with certainty was that they stole the thunder of the show. I still enjoyed Queen but Freddy didn't quite have the charisma of Phil Lynott. Thin Lizzy were on it and surprisingly blew the crowd away. I would not have envied anyone following them that night.

Rezdog

lowdownthump and JMacBass65 like this.
  10. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Saw them on that same tour.

Rezdog likes this.
  11. tvbop

tvbop

Mar 11, 2021
    Its totally wrong to look at people like Phil Lynott, Sting, Geddy etc as just bass players. He was the focal point of a great band which didn't need a lot of fancy bass playing... as long as he chugged out the root notes and did his thing the whole caboodle worked....
    So from a huge fan Phil Lynott isn't a great or even notable bass player, just a very average bassist but, who was a hell of an iconic musician and performer.

12. Tendril

Tendril

Sep 28, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    The sum was greater than the parts. Of course, when you have Gorham & Robertson wailing away on either side, you don't need to be all that busy.

13. That's the problem with Thin Lizzy, for me: I like them all!!! :)

14. I hate you a little bit :D
    How I wish I could have seen them even once, even just a couple of songs...
    Gotta go, I turned a little green with envy now ;)

JMacBass65 likes this.
  15. Spot on ficelles, Phil and also McCartney, played what the song and the band structure required, though while doing it they were both inventive and interesting. (At least to me...) It always puzzles me when people assume bassists like them couldn't do more, because they didn't do more in the formats and bands they worked in. I also wonder how many of the "virtuosos" could play and sing at the same time?

Rezdog, lowdownthump and JMacBass65 like this.
  16. LFE LIFE

LFE LIFE

Mar 2, 2019
    Pretty fine groove in this one:

17. pigpen ridding

pigpen ridding

Dec 30, 2020
    Earth
    they were an awesome band i saw him a couple of times playing with gary moore and saw him in his side band the greedies a couple of time

mcnach and JMacBass65 like this.
  18. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I totally agree. My favorite Thin Lizzy era was when they were a trio.

Gluvhand likes this.
  19. My favorite era changes daily, except for the Snowy White years. There are only a handful of tunes, IMO, I consider classic from those years.

20. FuzztoneCowboy

FuzztoneCowboy

Jan 17, 2020
    Australia
    Phil is great, not the flashiest player ever but a real good groover with some really cool lines. He always stood out to me among eighth-pedalling hard rock players (which he certainly was more than) due that bouncy, swing-tempo feel he had. Whenever I hear a line with a feel like that I tend to think of Phil-o. Funnily enough, the Boys are Back in Town has always been a highlight to me, some really cool fills in that, real shame the bass is mixed so low on the album. The isolated track has some slips and bum notes on it, but what the heck, it's rock n roll. I remember I was really frustrated trying to learn it when I was starting out as a player, but I got it down eventually.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021