1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Lynott

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dougjwray, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

This isn’t rock?

Plus, you’re judging his whole career from one song?

2. Michedelic

Taste, with Rory Gallagher, were just ahead of them...

ajkula66 likes this.
  3. Michedelic

Fancy licks and fast playing is not primary criteria for bass greatness.

4. Michedelic

It’s all in here...

JMacBass65, mcnach and bjelkeman like this.
  5. Michedelic

Take this in, and get back to us...

Sure, his playing may have been overshadowed by the harmony twin guitar attack, but that was the band’s signature sound, and, like Lemmy, he was often filling the roll of bass and rhythm guitar; there’s an art to that. Plus, as pointed out above, he was the architect of the whole thing and a standout front man, pulling off all of it at once. What strikes me about this show is that, in spite of all the fierce guitar acrobatics, both guitarists are secondary to what’s going on. All eyes on Phil.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  6. tvbop

tvbop

Mar 11, 2021
    Its palpable the one thing no-one is mentioning here...so I will. Phil was mixed race and that is a very significant element here....For him to be fronting a hard rock band with a fro back then was very unusual indeed, yet tho we all knew it even back then in the turbulent 70's it was never even talked about....which is concrete proof of the power of music and the levelling effect it has on us all.

cusar5, JMacBass65, jerry and 5 others like this.
  7. Polkatronixx

Polkatronixx

Jan 28, 2019
    Hornchurch
    Yeah, I considered that. But I wasn't too sure how internationally well-known Taste were. I thought Gallagher's solo work was what made him a (somewhat) household name.

8. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Where on earth did you get that idea from?

9. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Unfortunately, i saw TL in 78 with AC/DC and Dictators opening....1st off Brian Downey apparently got in a fight and could not play....the drummer who filled in sounded like Keith Moon in comparison! Not good! It gets worse...a terrible mix with tons of delay on the guitars and Gary Moore overplaying....AC/DC frankly blew them off the stage and you could see the frustration with Phil sadly as fans left in droves.

Could not believe how stoked i was to see TL and this happens....

10. 39-Bassist

39-Bassist

Jul 7, 2010
    Florida
    Endorsing Artist for: Brace Audio; Duncan Pickups; Line6, Hipshot, GHS Strings, Somnium Guitars
    To add to that...Phil had probably one of the BEST and Underrated drummers with Brian Downey and THAT helped soo much with the music and groove.

StevieMac and JMacBass65 like this.
  11. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    PL talked about it some in "Ode to a Black Man" from Solo in Soho. As well, I always took the album name Black Rose to be relevant. That Solo album, BTW, is different, pretty good.

StevieMac and JMacBass65 like this.
  12. Michedelic

Taste were up-and-comers in the UK and Europe, opening for Cream and Blind Faith before falling apart right about the time Lizzy was coming together. In fact they were considered somewhat to be Ireland’s answer to Cream, and did get some airplay on US FM stations; I heard them even in the backwater midwest. Gallagher’s solo career was up and running, and actually running out of steam, before anyone in America really heard of or cared about TL. It took several albums and personnel changes before they hit paydirt in ‘76 with Jailbreak and TBABIT.

ajkula66 and DavidEdenAria like this.
  13. Michedelic

Everybody has heard “BEG” too many times, and is so unlike all the stuff from his Warner Brothers years. Astral Weeks(with its mystic jazz-folk)aside, you’ve got “Wild Night”, “Domino”, “Caravan”, etc., maybe it wasn’t hard rock, but neither is “Dancing In The Moodlight”.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    ajkula66 and DavidEdenAria like this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Phil was no virtuoso, nor was he a truly great singer with a lot of range. But he wrote a lot of great songs that never got their due on the charts, he had a great feel for walking basslines which he used quite effectively at times, and he had a unique voice and perspective. Here's what I'd recommend other than the two big hits to listen to first...

Cowboy Song
    Warriors
    Emerald
    Johnny The Fox Meets Jimmy The Weed
    Opium Trail
    Waiting For An Alibi
    Dancing In The Moonlight
    Hollywood (Down On Your Luck)
    Chinatown
    Renegade
    Killer On The Loose
    Angel Of Death
    The entire "Live And Dangerous" album

15. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I like Gary Moore, but he was a bad fit for Thin Lizzy. IMHO. Back on topic, I thought Lynott played the right notes for HIS songs.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  16. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    Phil Lynott was a big influence on Steve Harris apparently....critics back in the day described Iron Maiden as "Thin Lizzy on speed"!

Anyone know Phils gear (did i miss that)?

17. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    It was more a case of the soundguy screwing up the whole Thin Lizzy set....ive heard some cuts of the 78 tour that sounded good.

This show was really a letdown soundwise for Thin Lizzy....never got to see them again sadly...i liked Black Rose but i lost track once the lineup started changing from the 'Jail Break' lineup.

But yeah, Phil played the right notes!

JMacBass65 likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Fender P, Acoustic 370/301, Ampeg B-15, and a Marshall Superbass with 215. And he used an MXR Flanger sometimes back then, too.

19. The classic era was a couple of P Basses that were modded at different times. Nothing particularly unique. Dimarzios, add a J pickup, Badass bridge, mirror pick guard. He would go on to a few different Ibanez basses and finally a gutted Roland synth bass, G33 IIRC. For amps, he usually had a flip top Ampeg along with an Acoustic, and later, a Marshall rig. He eventually went to a Dynacord combo with the Marshall rig. He didn't use a lot of effects. Phaser, some chorus or light flanger.

DavidEdenAria likes this.
  20. soundsupport1

soundsupport1

Aug 17, 2017
    He also had an EHX Small Stone, I believe.

Peace,
    SoundSupport

JimmyM likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021