1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Lynott

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by dougjwray, Mar 23, 2021.

1. LostJohnny

LostJohnny

Mar 11, 2020
    NYC
    I've seen a few pictures of him with Aria, Ampeg Dan Armstrong, and Rickenbacker basses, but it does seem like Fenders were his mainstay, since virtually every live photo has him playing one of those.

2. The Arias were from a promo photo. Maybe an endorsement was in the works when he died but I've never seen him actually using them.

3. Clank Plank

Clank Plank

Dec 26, 2020
    England
    Every Thin Lizzy guitarist was a first class axe man, but to my mind Eric Bell in particular was helluva talent. His wailing slide guitar on Mama Nature Said is tom die for, and fits perfectly with Lynott's bass scales and soulfully rasping vocals.

JMacBass65 and Count Bassie like this.
  4. Cavemanfrmc

Cavemanfrmc

Apr 11, 2021
    This bass line.

JMacBass65 and Clank Plank like this.
  5. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    There is a Thin Lizzy live cd you need to check out.
    It is well recorded and mixed and Phil's playing stands out better.

6. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    Well said. Although Phil was such a confident guy onstage, he must have felt a lot of pressure being who he was at the time, and I think it's reflected in his music. Thin Lizzy songs are full of gamblers, criminals, outlaws, loners, addicts, and various other characters on the fringes of society, and you can sense a lot of insecurity in Phil's more melancholy songs.

JMacBass65 and tvbop like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021