Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Lynott

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Acacia, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    OK, most of you know that I love (understatement) his playing and his music.

Any fans? I don't think I have posted about him in a while :D hehe.

fave LPs? songs?

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have yet to find someone under 30 who doesnt have Live and Dangerous. Ok slight exageration but it is an essential album IMHO.

3. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Philip Lynott (found out that he preferred to be called Philip, and the last name is pronounce Lie-Not), was one of my favorite rock songwriters. The problem with Thin Lizzy was the same as UFO - great albums, followed by mediocre albums, followed by great albums, etc. I have his second solo release, which is really good. I remember one cut from his first solo album was really gritty (kind of a reply to Stevie Wonder...don't remember the title, but there was a hook that went something like "I've been living on the wrong side of town all of my life").
    Anyway, liked Jailbreak ("Cowboy Song"), Black Rose ("Bad Reputation"), Thunder and Lightning, etc....
    And, he was one of the best-dressed rockers ever!

4. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I saw him/them at the Corn Exchange, England '74 or '75.
    Impacted my stage presence. Im not content to just hold down the bottom, I let the crowd know I'm an important part of the band, and I ENJOY playing bass. I'll vote for Cowboy Song, and the Boys are Back.

5. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I saw an old interview with him and he pronounced it Linn-ot.

His charisma was great. I thoroughly impresses me how he plays some of the rythms he plays, and sings over top of them.

I think Black ROse is my least favorite LP. I love the earlier jazzy stuff, but Renegade is my fave overall.

I will get a black P-bass with a chrome pickguard one of these days when I have extra money to throw around...

kinda funny in the video for "Do anything you wanna do" the whole band is playing BC Richs!!!

6. wow almost forgot how much i loved this band
    favorite album would have to be live, then, jailbreak, then black rose

fav. song because of the bassline would be danceing in the moonlight

7. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Thin Lizzy 's one of my all time favorite bands. They're are so many songs that i just can't name a few. But my favorite albums are Jailbreak, Bad reputation and Fighting!!

Just finished a book written bye his mum. It's a biography on him, how he grew up and his career. It was great and somewhat terrifying reading. He was pretty deep down into drugs the past 10-12 years.

Unfortunately I didnt have the chance to see him play(due to my age).

I've seen a show with a "new" Thin Lizzy though, with Scot Gorham, Darren Warton, Tom Aldrigde, John Sykes and Mark Mendoza. They all played with Philip (except for mendoza). It didnt come close to the original, but it still was a kickin' liveshow.

Phil Lynott was truly one of the greats!

cheers Ulf/

8. I saw Thin Lizzy on the Black Rose Tour in the UK when Gary Moore was back in the band, totally brilliant. I like many others have Live & Dangerous, I got it the first time round as a double album. There are many great songs on there my favourites are Suicide, The Rocker, Emerald and Still in love with you. Also I liked the B side to the Rosalie single, Me and the Boys.

Black Rose is a great album and I like the title track best, they played it live when I saw them at Newcastle City Hall, but I gather that they dropped it after only a few nights, I heard because Scott Gorham couldn't hack it !

Stu

9. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Mark Mendoza, from Twisted Sister, is now in Thin Lizzy? Wow, that's a big change of styles. If I remember, they called him Animal in TS, and when I saw him live, he was REALLY aggressive. I remember Philip Lynott having a lot more finesse than power.

10. ulf_kurt

ulf_kurt

Feb 10, 2000
    Umea, Sweden
    Sorry....I meant MARCO Mendoza. He played bass with John Sykes in the band Blue Murder. It would have been cool with mark-"theAnimal" though.....maybe!?...well maybe not ;)

cheers Ulf/

11. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That is correct. He had a very melodic, flowing style to go along with his songwriting and singing. Passion is what I call it.

12. Lorne

Lorne

Nov 21, 2005
    Devon U.K.

Wow,dig up a REALLY old post,but I OWN the BC Rich Mockingbird bass Phil Used in that video,and it is for sale,for $LOTS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Cowboy Song for sure. I never get tired of blasting that song - has all the great Lizzy traits.

14. namraj

namraj

Feb 7, 2008
    When I started playing bass (i was 11 or 12) the only bassist i had heard of was flea, I got lessons and the first good bass line I learnt was the line from emerald (the soloy bit) from then on my love for lynott lines and dislike of flea lines has grown and grown :smug::p

15. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Why does it have to be one or the other. BTW, Phil Lynott was as cool as anyone who ever played R'n R.

16. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    qft

17. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I think Phil is probably the coolest guy to ever wield a bass.

+1 to the Cowboy Song comments. That is easily my favorite Thin Lizzy tune.

18. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    This was his last single.

19. Im 24 and I have it! Great album.

20. Gubna

Gubna Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    Phil Is "Still Alive"

Thin Lizzy is definately one of my all time favorite bands.