1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

phil lynott's main bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by username n/a, Aug 1, 2007.

1. its a p bass right pics please:hyper:

2. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    Depends on the period. His most famous basses were Ps. Before them he used Rickenbacker (both 4000 and 4001), and later he also used Ibanez and a Roland Bass. The Ps were black, one with a maple neck and one with a rosewood neck. He may have had duplicates, I don't know.

3. just do a google images search...

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
  5. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
  6. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX

diff shots have him holding a clear bass (dan armstrong?) and a rickenbacker i can't identify (but any rick expert should be able to)

7. its a jetglo(sp?) 4000

8. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
  9. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    Pics aren't great but from what I can see that looks like the Roland. That's certainly what he used around the Thunder and Lightning period, minus all the synth gubbins of course. I think it was a standard 34" scale. I've got some live footage of him using it. Is there nothing on Youtube?

10. bigcatJC

bigcatJC

Jul 9, 2004
    Melt, here's a video of the bass in question:

I don't know enough about old Roland basses to identify it - and can't see a logo anywhere. I'm just curious b/c I've never seen this bass model before.

BTW, this is a great tune with Gary Moore!

11. spideyjg

spideyjg

Mar 19, 2006
    San Diego
  12. suterb42

suterb42

Jul 27, 2007
    somewhere in WV
    I saw one like that at a local music store. I believe it was a Squier knockoff, though.

13. Pan

Pan Lowdown User

Aug 8, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia

14. melt

melt

May 16, 2007
    Yep, that's the Roland. It was basically the controller for a Roland Bass synth unit, and I believe he just liked the bass. He used that in the latter stages of Lizzy.

The black/mirror pickguard combo was something he started on the Rics IIRC. It became sort of a signature thing. I seem to remember it says in one of my old tour programmes that he once had a mirror which he stuck on his bass (belonged to an old girlfriend or something) and he liked the effect it created when the lights caught it, so he came up with the mirrored scrathplate idea.