Philadelphia Experiment?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Aug 22, 2001.

1. I was wondering if anyone had purchased this album yet. It features Christian McBride on acoustic and electric bass, Ahmir Thompson (drummer for the Roots and D'Angelo), Uri Caine on Rhodes, organs, and pianos, and Pat Martino on acoustic and electric guitar. I thought this looked pretty interesting, but I was wondering if anyone had bought it and their opinions of it before I shell out my hard earned cash. Thanks! :)
  2. i was checking this out at the tower listening booth the other day, and i'm interested too. from what i heard, it seemed awesome. ?uestlove is really an incredible drummer.
  3. oddentity

oddentity Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    I have it - incredible album!!!

There was another thread on this a while back...
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I have it; good jam album, and McBride's handy with the MuTron. Not spectacular, though. IMO, the soul/funk songs like "Grover" and "Trouble Man" work better than the jazzier numbers, which sound a little static. Thompson's good with the hiphop grooves, but he can't out-and-out swing.
  5. BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Get that album! It is awesome. Christian Mcbride, Uri Canes, and ?uestlove make an unbelievable trio of musicians.
  6. Cool, I think I'll check it out. I haven't heard much of ?uestlove's drumming, except on Voodoo by D'angelo, but I like it.
  7. Ok, I know this thread is like a month old, but I JUST bought the cd and I was pretty amazed. Great lines from Christian, awesome drums from ?uest, and Uri Caine is great as well. Pat Martino does some guest work that is also great. BUY THIS CD! :)
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and do yourselves a flavor & pick up a couple of Pat Martino's '70s discs.
    Like maybe Footprints(w/ Richard Davis & Billy Higgins) or Consciousness(great version of 'Trane's "Impressions").
  9. Thanks JimK, now I have like 100,000,002 albums to get. ;)
    Yes, I was very impressed with Pat Martino on the Philly Experiment album, I need to get some of his stuff. What did you think of the Philly Experiment cd, JimK?
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999's on the list, man. ;)