Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Philadelphia Freedom

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MILLHOUSE, Jan 16, 2002.

1. MILLHOUSE

MILLHOUSE

Jan 15, 2002
    Wales
    Another brilliant bass groove on this track.

Any ideas who played it tho?

2. According to the credits, Dee Murray was the bass player on that song.

Lisa

3. MILLHOUSE

MILLHOUSE

Jan 15, 2002
    Wales
    excuse my ignorance, but I'm afraid that Dee is a new one on me...............D'OH!!!!!!

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dee Murray, Nigel Olson(drums), & Davey Johnstone(guitar) were Elton's core group back in the early to late '70s(I think).
    Murray passed away(cancer, I think)about 10 years ago(?).

Elton's version of "Pinball Wizard"...that's Entwhistle, right?

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I wasnt really into music in the 70's, i was only born then and never really got into that music, its a little before my time.

But where do you guys get all this information?

6. Luckily, I'm extremely into music from the 70's! :D

Actually, Dee Murray was probably the bass player on Elton's version of Pinball Wizard as well. He's listed as one of the bass players on Tommy's (the Film, not the play) sound track, so it's a good bet that he probably played with Elton.

I get my info here...if I don't own the album or CD already:
    http://allmusic.com/

Hope that helps!

Lisa

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hey Lisa-
    I've seen a video of Elton doing "Pinball Wizard"...Entwhistle is in that video & is 'faking it' pretty well.

Cassie-
    I was born in '58...'72-'76 I was in High School. At that time, that particular school was attempting something a little different-
    If you didn't want to go to class, you didn't have to. No one forced you to go. Supposedly, it was gearing the students for college(where that freedom exists).
    Anyway, needless to say, I didn't go to many classes...I 'found' the other musicians in the school & we hung out all day talking/listening to '70s music.
    When I did go to college, I NEVER MISSED CLASS! ;)

8. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Ok, I know this is an old thread I found while searching the archives, but as Dee Murray was the inspiration for my taking up the bass I felt I should clarify that it was indeed Dee who played the bass on Elton's version of "Pinball Wizard" in spite of the fact that Entwistle(another huge influence), Townshend, and Moon appear as Elton's band in the film.

Required listening for any bass player: "Elton John 11/17/70"

bassbrad, Guiseppe and JimK like this.
  9. Moonpatrol

Moonpatrol

Dec 22, 2015
    Dee's tasteful and melodic playing has always blown me way. He is able to hold the structure of the song , have a good sound(tone) and run melodies along with the lead melody. He's in my top ten bass players list. Here it is in no particular order:
    Peter Cetera
    John Paul Jones
    Dee Murray
    Walter Becker
    Geddy Lee
    Paul McCartney
    Phil Lesh
    Sting
    Jaco
    Scott Thunes-(Frank Zappa)

BadExample likes this.
  10. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The liner notes on the album cover or internal sleeve.Sometimes you also got the songs lyrics.With CDs you have less usable space. Then came downloading and a return to purchasing singles instead of albums

11. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    11/17/70 is my absolute favorite live album - back before they were overdubbed.

The first few EJ albums, Murray was not trusted to lay the tracks. :confused:

12. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I always thought that Elton's core band was one of the major strengths of his 70s material. He resisted any temptation to go to Hollywood or London and work with the hottest studio cats and mostly used his road band. Considering that he released six successful albums, a live album and the soundtrack to the movie "Friends" from 1970 to 1973 alone- all while touring incessantly-that was a very tight band.

BadExample and Bob_Ross like this.
  13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Until I believe Honky Chateau, Murray was only allowed to play on one track per album. @iamthebassman please correct me if I am wrong. But the dude was amazing - one of the most under-rated bassists in rock.

14. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Correct, producer Gus Dudgeon allowed EJ's touring band, Olsson/Murray, to play one track until HC.
    He had his own "Wrecking Crew" you could say. They were a band named Hookfoot.

15. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Well, except maybe for 17-11-70 :) Still my favorite EJ disc btw

[​IMG]

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Well it goes without saying, I was referring to studio albums.
    I'm sure you have the "complete broadcast" CD of 11/17/70. Its a must!

17. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    No. The Who mime behind Elton in the Tommy movie, with Entwistle using a white Gibson Flying V bass, but the music was played by Elton's band.

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...nice to know after all these years!

:)

19. Yup Dee Murray very under-rated many many great bass lines in Elton's songs
    I know he had cancer but i believe he took his own live sadly? I will check. Nope he passed after a stroke Bob Birch Elton's other bass player took his own life.

20. Most respect to all opinions, particularly "favorite" lists which is a matter of personal preference, and you've listed some excellent players here...However, I question why anyone would place Walter Becker on such a list, when after hearing Chuck Rainey, Becker decided that his playing days with Steely Dan were virtually over, and used Rainey, Anthony Jackson, and others to play on his own bands tracks???...Not criticizing...just wondering?

JimK likes this.