1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Philadelphia Soul?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassman316, May 9, 2010.

1. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Hey guys... question. I've been listening to more old-school R&B and Motown recently. Now being originally from the Philadelphia area, and knowing all of the great music made there over the years, I've been wanting to get into some Philadelphia soul. I know that there are the standards like The Stylistics, Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes, Teddy Pendergrass, etc., but I'm wondering what albums any of you guys who dig this type of sound would suggest to a newbie. I've searched it out 'round these parts and couldn't find much on it, so I'd value some of your opinions. Gracias amigos. :bassist:

2. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Sweet website! Thank you!! What is that first song that plays when you first log onto the site?

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

That is the Theme for the Soul Train show that was a staple on TV starting in the 70's and I believe is still airing today.

4. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Nice. Always liked that song. Thanks again for the link man!

5. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    The "Love Train" box set that came out last year is really good. The Philly grooves were unbelievable. My favorites are Love I Lost, Bad Luck, and Ain't No Stoppin Us Now. Enjoy Yourself by the Jacksons is a great groove too.