Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Phildelphia Experiment"-Christian McBride

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Drone, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Any opinons on this new release? It features Christian McBride on bass, Ahmir Thompson on the drums, and Uri Cane on keys. Ahmir is the drummer for The Roots, D'angelo, and just about every modern hip-hop artist using live drums. The guy can sound exactly like a drum machine or a loop with live drums. Kinda hard to explain, but he sounds great. Christian sounds cool too. I haven't had a chance to really listen to it much, but it is a great fusion of Jazz/Soul/instrumental Hip-Hop >something new. Funky drums with almost no fills, Heavy, funky, and powerful bass(usually Octave divided, enveloped, or delayed fretless. But also arco acoustic and clean.), and colorful keyboard textures.

2. Wow, I didn't know he had Ahmir on drums, that guy is one smooth drummer. Maybe I'll check it out.

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I just picked it up last night. Listened to the first 2/3 of the album so far, gonna finish the rest on my lunch hour.

Funky as hell!! :cool: Some TASTY playing by McBride, and Ahmir (?uestlove) simply has the best sounding kit I've ever heard. I really dig the effects (reverbs, etc) on the drums. Some rippin' work by Uri Caine too...

4. I just got a copy of this used. It was a promo, not-for-resale copy, and it had the hidden track of McBride doing "Just the Two of Us" by himself. (multi-tracked) I hear the US release version does not have this song. The whole album sounds awesome. Not a lot of showing off, just grooving like a mf. Predominantly fretless, just a little upright.

Is ?uestlove really that big of a person? I've been to a couple of Christian's gigs and he is not small. On the cover, ?uestlove just towers over him. Not just the mushroom-cloud afro, either.

http://www.bighassle.com/a_phili_exp.htm#photo

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    My copy also has the hidden track of "Just the Two of Us". I'm pretty sure it's the US release -- I bought it at Borders Books & Music, and they had many copies on the shelf.

6. templelife

templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    I've just got this cd, and i think it's great, really chill music.

7. blen dem

blen dem Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2001
    USA, Vallejo
    Philly experiment is off tha hook! Can't stop listening to it, so i let my percussionist borrow the damn thing... McBride is just an amazing musician as well as Caine and ?ustlove. ?uest shocked me though, i'm use to his hip-hop no fills beats. I thought they tested him a bit but he held his own throughout the album...

Any Dennis Chambers recommendations? I have his fussion stuff and I like it but would like to hear more of the funky groovy beats he be layin down... THANKS in advance, peace.