Philip Kubicki Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMann2112, Jun 22, 2002.

1. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    Anyone out there know about Kubicki basses?
    They are fun to play. check out the web site
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've played a few of them.
    They are very comfortable, either standing or sitting.
    The fretboard extension at the top of the E string on some of them is really a good idea.
    The neck is almost completely flat, allowing for the lowest action I've ever seen. Really nice for slap & tap playing. The preamp brings a lot of versatility too.
    I don't like the sound much. Kind of harsh, not warm enough for me. It'll make a very nice metal bass, as it cuts through very well.
  3. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    my teacher plays one of 'em, an 'X-Factor' or something. incredibly fast-playing bass, but like BAD RASH said, they're not exactly the warmest things out there. cut through with exceptional ease, though.
  4. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i really think they are one of the easiest basses to play. i like kubicki basses a lot. the only thing i don't really care for is the body shape. i like more "traditional" looking basses.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I love the tone and the feel and the extension and lever.

I dont remember the price, but I remember when I saw one that that was the only thing I didnt like.

Would anyone care to reind me hopw much an X-Factor costs.

6. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    New, these basses start at around $1,700.00 u.s. and top out with the custom line of select woods for almost $3,800.00. I have seen them used for a little as $600.00 in the sale papers in the u.s.
  7. I have one.
    And I can agree with previous posts, that the bass is very fast. I just love the neck.

And I love the sound when you slap (listen to any of Stu Hamms records and you will understand what I mean).

I can recommend all people that either have a Kubicki or just is interested in them to check out the Yahoo group about Kubicki basses.
  8. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I've owned one for about 12 years, and I love the bass. It's comfortable and is a great bass to play.
    It's actually a Fender Custom Shop bass.
    A well balanced bass, hence the unique body shape.
    If you have the chance to pick one up I would recommend it.

I like the tones I get from the bass. As stated before, listen to some Stu Hmm from his first two albums.
  9. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Just for clarification, way back when, Kubicki had the bass produced by The Fender Custom Shop. Now I believe he builds them by his own company.

Also, I bought mine new for $1500 about 12 years ago.
  10. i can rember when but not to long ago the last page of bassplayer had this think about the creator and what not alot of info .from reading it i wanted one.but price and those damm fender jazz basses are keeping me from getting one.
  11. I can also recomend you all to check out a bassplayer named Vail Johnson, he is playing Kubickis and does it great.
    He has played with Kenny G, and also realeased at least two solo records. I think he is working on an other solo record right now by the way.

Check him out!
  12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I played an older one yesterday. The guy wants $950 for it. Set up low and played fast. Not sure I would get much use from the d-tuner. Overall it's a pretty nice bass.
  13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    They were Jon Taylor's (Duran Duran) axe of choice too.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Philip Kubicki has not had any dealings with Fender in close if not about 10 years.I've owned a couple of X-Factors over the years and I must say if you can find one before the Fender years at a good price you cant go wrong.and the ones after are worth checking out as far as some feeling the bass has to much edge just roll some of the highs off and add a little more bass.the X-Factor is a very versatile bass.Philip Kubicki had serious problems with getting Fender to get it right and this is what he told me.
  15. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    All I have to say about Kubicki: I wouldnt be the bass player I am today if it was not for the Factor... <that had a shaven neck (36 pc Maple) set up great> I would not be the bass player I am today. Thats for sure. It totally tought me how to pop slap and tap. now I have a 94 Stewart Spector SSD American prototype (very rare) and it's tones are very comperable to the factor.
    Keep on Jammin