1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Philip Kubicki RIP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, Mar 19, 2013.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Phil Kubicki,

A very nice man who had a strong vision.

I owned three of his X Factor models in the 80's.

2. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    I met him when he was in Santa Barbera and he was an amazing man and a true gentleman. May he Rest In Peace.

3. Sad to hear that. I have never had the opportunity to play one of his basses but I admire the design.

Rick B.

4. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    Sad to hear indeed. Loved his X Factor.

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Heckuva nice guy! I called him once at his Santa Barbara shop and accidentally dialed his home number...can't remember how I got that! He spoke with me for a good 20" about basses, painting lawns green (CA was in a severe drought condition) and life in general. He'll be missed.

Riis

6. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    The D lever on his basses are a work of genius. RIP.

Mvilmany likes this.
  7. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    That's a real suprise. How old was he?

I really miss my 1989 Ex-Factor and alway regretted selling it.

8. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    I have just been informed by one of my dearest friends, favourite luthier, and former bandmate that the great Phil Kubicki has died.

For those of you who have met or dealt with Phil you will know that he was a wonderful human being, and an amazing engineer.

Sad day for the bass world. Mods: Please move to relevant thread if necessary. I put it in "Basses" as most people know of Phil as a bass builder.

9. Maya403

Maya403

Dec 22, 2012
    RIP

10. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    1943 - 70 yrs old

11. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    RIP Phil. A true gent.

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

That sucks.

I loved my 1992 Fender Plus 5er that was loaded with Kubicki electronics. Funny, I posted about this bass earlier today and how I only sold it as the original owner begged me to sell it back a couple of years later. Strange.

The X Factor sure was a game changer.

13. I really miss my Factor. Was hoping to get an X Factor some day. Very bummed I didn't pull the trigger earlier.

Salud.

14. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Very cool guy and very cool basses...would love to have another xFactor if I was still playng.

15. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    Wow.. I had an early X factor... great bass.. I have one of his fender style necks and Bodies that he made for me in the mid 80s......

16. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    He was a legend and a great inspiration in many ways. Glad to have met him, and i love his basses.

17. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    Nice guy, spoke to him about 5 months ago...he said he wasn't building anymore, I understand why now. May he rest in peace.

18. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    I have lost a friend, and we have lost one of the greatest builders ever known. Godspeed Phil. I know the last year of your life was one of your most relaxed.

19. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Amazing how he lived in my area! I've always wanted to try out on of his instruments...who knows, maybe I will in the future.

RIP, Mr. Kubicki.

20. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    A great man indeed. I recieved a new bass from him a month ago, that he had in his shop with a ding on it from a dropped tool during final assembly. This was the 3rd new bass and 5th Ex-Factor in the last 20yrs. Phil always had time to talk with people. I will sadly miss him.