Philip Lynott Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bequietandrive, Jan 5, 2002.

1. hey,
    I'm looking for any Thin Lizzy fans (there's gotta be some of you out there!) that can give me some information on getting a bass similar to the one Phil Lynott used (from time to time, Black Fender P with chrome scratchplate)
    I'm only 14 so i don't get many 'Lizzy fans my age but i take my music seriously and am very interested in getting hold of one of these basses as Philo has got to be my hero when it comes to Bass playing.
    so thanks,
    kris :)
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I saw Thin Lizzy live in '76...I was about 6 feet from him. He had what appreared to be a black American Standard Precision with custom pickguard.

So..all you need to do is get an MIA Precision, and get a custom pickguard from someone like Warmoth or Chandler or WD Music.

More do you know that a P-Bass is right for you? And who knows what Phill would be playing now...back in '76, it was really between Jazz, Precision, Rickenbacker, Hofner and maybe Gibson - very limited choices.

Bottom line...find the bass that is suitable for you. You can still enjoy Phill's music :)
  3. thanks man, good advice about the choice of bass, but i've tried a lot of basses out that are in my price range (Jazz,Precision,Danelectros,Epiphones,Stingray copies,Burns) but out of all of them i liked the Precision ;fairly lightweight,and i love the trademark precision sound.
    If it came to me buying the bass and getting hold of the pickguard, how would i go about changing them? is it just a case of unscrewing the old one then screwing the new one on?
    any help is much appreciated
  4. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Yes, just unscrew the old one, screw in the new one...really simple
  5. Tim Schnautz

Tim Schnautz

Jan 30, 2000
    If you get the bass of your choosing, take off the the pickguard (easily done) and send it to Rodger at Jeannie's Pickguards, and have them custom make you one.
    here's their site.

6. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
  7. I'm pretty sure that scratchplate was a custom one. I vaguely remember reading he used to use it to reflect the stage lights on to women he liked the look of in the crowd.... presumably when he wasn't playing those great lines!
  8. Got the video of Lizzy's last concert, the bass is a black precision style, but the headstock was also black with no logo on, also he had a MM pickup by the bridge, also with the mirrored scrstchplate.