Philistine Bass Guitarist Wants Info.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Funk Warts, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    Hey all.

I've been a bass guitar player for years,but my love for the likes of Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, Herbie Hancock, John Coltrane...(need I go on?) has made me want to get a double bass. But I know nothing - and I mean NOTHING about them.

Are they comparable to a bass guitar?
    How much do they cost?
    How hard is it to learn?

Thanks a lot.
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would imagine that that would depend on how much time you would spend on it and how good of a teacher you have.

have i missed anything?
  3. John, although your comments about action, string spacing, and scale are a little exaggerated, you're pretty right on. I'll just add that you get out of it what you put into it, unlike bass the toybass at which you can get pretty good with relatively little effort.
  4. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    A few notes: In your situation, find a teacher first, then find a bass.

If you can't read music, learn. It's really not that difficult, and it's a skill that will reward you for years to come. Since you want to play jazz, this will be an essential first step to learning theory, which is essential for being a jazz guy. Learn to read treble AND bass clef. Again, the added effort is not that much, and it will pay off in the long run. If you're really enjoying learning clefs, tenor clef is also useful (but mostly only if you're doing classical).

Very little of what you know about playing bass guitar will apply to playing double bass. On the other hand, the skills you acquire on db will greatly enhance your abilities on bg.

5. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    Thanks all.

In response to dhosek, I can already read music and know a lot of theory (thanks to playing bass guitar, 6 string guitar and trumpet)

Thanks again though.