1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phillies Fan Tasered for Running on Field - Excessive Force?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, May 4, 2010.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
  2. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    No because he was a Phillies fan...

3. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Well, great. Now if someone that could contribute to the thread would share their opinion, that'd be awesome.

4. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Well, honestly, who wants to tackle a naked guy? I can see this factor weighing into the taser decision.

5. Lurker79

Lurker79

Jul 3, 2008
    Hayward, CA
    "Red Phillies T-shirt and khaki shorts -- jumped over a wall in right field, eluded two security officers in the outfield and was eventually tased, bringing him to the ground immediately."

LMAO!

6. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    If you read the article, he wasn't naked.

Classic case of posting before reading.

7. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    I definitely think it's excessive force! I mean, come on... what, TWO cops can't tackle ONE teenage fan that hopped the wall? Give me a break! Tackle him? Yes. Stick him in the side with a taser gun? Come on. I've heard several times that tasers cause a lot of pain. IMHO, the use of tasers in situations where it isn't absolutely necessary has gone up.

Go Phillies, BTW.

8. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    In that case, the tasing may have been excessive. Also, if you're not naked what's the point of running on the field?

Meh, everyone slips up on occasion. You can't expect me to read every article you goofballs post ;)

9. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    excessive force IMO. Seems to happen alot lately.

10. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Stupid kid shouldn't have jumped the fence. He got what he deserved. What would have happened had he started running towards a player to attack them or what not?
    Cop was totally justified.

11. SonicBlueJoe

SonicBlueJoe Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    You wanted intelligent opinions? In TB OT? What are you, crazy? ;)

My first impression when I saw the video was excessive force. Kid looked to be pretty harmless. But considering what that father/son duo did to Tom Gamboa (KC Coach) and the attack on the umpire not too long after that (both at US Cellular Field, home of the White Sox), I can't fault a policy that includes tasering or that police officer's choice last night. Just another sad commentary on what our society has come to.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm failing to see how the multitude of security at these events could not take down 1 person without having to resort to using a taser. IMO this is excessive force and the officer(s) in question should be fired and prosecuted.

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

Unfortunately, you can't base the use of force on "what if's" As far as I know from my days in law enforcement, the threat has to be there to warrant the escalation in force. There was also no mention of the kid trying to attack anyone, (if he did I'm sure the media would've jumped all over it) hence making this use of force unreasonable IMO.

14. Hey, tax cuts. This way only one officer needed to get involved.

I find this excessive yet hilarious.

15. DeaconK

DeaconK

Nov 17, 2006
    They warn you not to get onto the field before the game starts.

Dumbass steps onto the field and they have the tools to stop him without risking injury to themselves, I'm not seeing a problem. :rollno:

16. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    You can never be sure if he is going to attack players, coaches, or umpires. Players and referees/umpires have been attacked by crazed fans before. Musicians have been injured and killed by people. You can't take chances when it comes to things like that.

And as for my comment about him being a Phillies fan, Flyers, Eagles, and Phillies fans have all sent "death threats" to players, and are notorious for being homers and rude. I'm not trying to stereotype as other fans (Yankees have had swat come on the field several times) can be just as bad, but it was meant to be funny.

17. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I would agree that it was using excessive force. But it'd be interesting to see how many more streakers there are for the rest of the season in Philly, and compare that to the same relative time period in recent years. I wouldn't be surprised if the number is drastically lower. If one bad incident is a deterrent for most people, maybe it's not the worst thing in the world. Now I don't necessarily believe this, I'm just playing devil's advocate here

18. Bassman316

Bassman316

May 27, 2008
    Longs, SC
    Hey, man... that's a rep we've earned. After all, we did pelt Sana Claus with snowballs! :bag:

19. fenderbassman55

fenderbassman55

Oct 17, 2009
    USA
    I was listening to the game and hear them say a 'fan' was running on the field. He committed criminal trespass and interrupted an MLB Nationally televised game. The perp knew what he was doing and planned on this disruption. He was told to stop and continued to flee and cause havoc. What IF he had a gun, bomb, knife, whatever. You have 41,000 fans to keep safe as well as million dollar athletes, umps and staff. He certainly deserved to be tased or any other method short of shooting him to be subdued.

20. fenderbassman55

fenderbassman55

Oct 17, 2009
    USA
    Let's see if Monica Seles (sp?) chimes in...