1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phillips or Schatz?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by lowEndRick, Apr 22, 2006.

1. lowEndRick

lowEndRick Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I have been playing guitar for 30 years. Bass guitar on and off for 20. Dobro for about 2 years with lessons from a great teacher. I have gigged frequently in several different genres.

I have acquired an upright and am debating between the Schatz video and the Phillips video. I find that I learn really well from videos.

Any advice?

2. lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    OK, I give up. What am I doing wrong? I've posted like 3 or 4 times with questions and have had no responses.

3. msw

msw

Aug 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of either.
    Ray Brown made a couple of really good ones. I think they are available somewhere, try Google-ing them. I have heard some good things about Phillips bass playing from Matt Glaser. Good luck.

4. relacey

relacey

Sep 18, 2004
    I was wondering the same thing. You can view a short excerpt from the Schatz video on the Homespun Tapes web site. My background is similar to yours and I was afraid these would be a little too elementary, along the lines of "Here's 1 - 3 - 5 in G, C, and D. Congratulations, you're a bass player." Both Phillips and Schatz have the playing credentials so maybe there's more there. But, I too would like to know before I shell out $50 for the 2-DVD set of either.

I do have Rufus Reid's DVD and book, "The Evolving Bassist" and I can recommend them highly. They compliment each other so I'd suggest both. The other book that I've found very useful as a beginner is "Intonation Plus" by Lew Berryman. All of this presumes that you can read notation.

5. wallydoesbass

wallydoesbass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Menlo Park, CA
    I haven't seen the Schatz video, but I own the two Phillips DVD's. I found them very helpful on topics like physical posture and left/right hand technique. The perspective is definitely bluegrass. Thumbs up from me.

6. lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Wow, this helps a lot. Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning towards the Phillips DVD set.

7. So nice to see some bluegrass content here. It's a whole 'nother language of the bassplaying world.

8. lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    Yeah boombloom, I have had a hard time finding forum discussion on bluegrass bass. I have full respect for the jazz and classical players and the intricacies of their technique, but its just not what I'm looking to do at the moment. I've gotten tremendously positive feedback from fellow players in my newest musical pusuit with the upright and I just wish to expand my capabilities in the bluegrass context for now. My adrenaline is just pumping from playing bluegrass! I'm not sure most people understand how challenging it is to be in the pocket and take on the responsibility of driving the band and providing the rhythmic foundation. Lots of subtlties.

9. Should we ask about a section of double bass forum just for bluegrass? After all, there are sections on orchestra and even audtions....

10. lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    I would be all for a Bluegrass Bass forum!

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Back to the question at hand, both the Phillips and Schatz videos will teach you basics, but I like the Phillips video a little more only because I don't care for Mark Schatz' tone. I'm a bluegrass player, but I also love the Rufus Reid video as well....it's a great lesson for anyone playing any style of bass.

12. wallydoesbass

wallydoesbass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2002
    Menlo Park, CA
    lowEndRick - If you are just jumping into the bluegrass thing, I recommend that you check out Mike Bub's recordings with the Del McCoury Band. mchildree recommended the "Del and the Boys" CD to me, and it floored me. Bub takes complete ownership of the groove. "The Mountain" by Steve Earle/Del McCoury Band is another great showcase for Bub's playing.

13. lowEndRick

Apr 8, 2006
    CT
    thanks wally. I've actually been playing bluegrass guitar for about 8-10 years and have attended festivals for about as long. I've seen Del a few times and I agree Mike Bub is awesome. Playing bluegrass bass is new to me. I have a sense of what to do and my buddies keep complimenting my timing and all, but I know I have a lot to learn if I'm really going to do this right.

mcchildree....thanks, I think I'm going to go with the Phillips video, but tell me more about the Reid video please.