Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Philly Guitar Show

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Nov 19, 2000.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Went to the Philly Guitar Show yesterday, it was truly a "guitar" show, fairly slim pickins for bass. The Bass Palace had some nice basses, including an extremely nice used 4 string Fodera, a Ken Lawrence 5, a used Rob Allen fretless 5 and a fanned fret 8 string fretless Conklin.

Guitar Villa had a few nice Smiths and an F bass.

Matt Pulcinella introduced his Level 6 bass:
    [​IMG]

His Level 5 basses are a bargain IMO. Very nice.

2. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Did you happen to play any of the MP basses? Did you paly the 6? It looks quite nice... I have always been a little interested in Matt's line of product. And seeing as I am planning my next extended range multi stringed purchase...

3. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Lightweight, punchy, nice highs and lows, doesn't have a naturally scooped midrange. Easy to play, seems to be put together well. As my review said, a review that was not paid for by Matt!!!, these basses are a great alternative to the Laklands and Sadowsky's at 1/3 to 1/2 the price. The law of diminishing returns applies for me here. You might have a greater tolerance for a heavy duty pricetag than I do.

Bottom line:

They're a bargain and you can have a 6 string fretted and fretless for the price of one high end fretted bass. Are they "as good" as a Sadowsky (they don't make 6 strings do they?) or on the "same plane", I can't say but they're darn nice and a great value.

Check it out. He'll give you a couple of days with the bass I'm sure of it.

LKaye

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    G, I played all the basses in the picture and a white with Maple board 5 string. They compare favorably with other upper end Jazzes. He had some great prices at the show, give him a call, he'll deal on the ones that are already made or make one for you. Nice guy, nice basses.

I was going to order one in the Spring but the Lakland fell in my lap... then I was planning on going to the show to check out the 6 and order a bass and then, on Thursday, the Surine 7 popped up.

5. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    So how does the MP 6 string jazz sound? Tones from the pickup preamp combo? I understand if you didn't get much of a chance to actually listen to the bass, but you have piqued my curiosity.

Larry Kaye, you should put a complete review of your MP on the reviews page of this site. It would be beneficial to all those remotely interested! Thanks guys.

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    G, I spent a few minutes with the 6, it played well, it had Bartolinis with either a 2 or 3 band EQ, I don't remember. It sounded similar to Matt's other basses. Matt had wide spacing at the nut on the prototype but he's offering other widths. 3/4" right hand spacing. Give him a call or email him, he's an easy guy to talk to ;)

http://www.mpguitars.com