Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

philly luthiers

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jimbo, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey guys,

i'm at college here in philadelphia, (university of the sciences) and wanted to know if anyone knows some luthiers in the area. i would like to know a place i could go to if ever i needed some work done on a bass or maybe a custom job (??). and if any of our guest luthiers are in this area i'd like to stop by!

-jimbo :ninja:

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    well, we've got plenty.

Ken Smith -but he only works on his own stuff i think

Matt Artinger - he build fine stuff and does repairs - he is completely reworking the necks from my Wals at the moment...

Bluebond guitars- in center city does great repairwork

Guitar Villa -in Quakertown for repairs. I'm pretty sure their repair guy is one of Ken Smith's setup/electronics guys.

Martyn's Guitars- Rob Martyn sell vintage stuff and does great repair and set up work also.

You can also call me if you get in a pinch.

Don

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    BTW, Ken gives tours of his place. I highly recommend it. Though be careful; you'll want to take several of his basses home with you!

4. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Tim at Superior Guitar Works in Manayunk does great work. My guitarist friends swear by him. Tim's a super nice guy.

I regularly use Medley Music in Bryn Mawr, PA for setup and repair work. Fast service, reasonable prices, and they do good work.

DonZ - what are you having done to your Wals?

5. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    hey thanks for the information guys.

where is Ken Smith's shop located in philly? that would be a great place to go. i'll make sure to wear pants with BIG pockets :D

-jimbo:ninja:

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Ken Smith's factory is about an hour outside Philly, in Perkasie, PA.

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Ken is 5 minutes from me...

I had both of the Wal boards releveled, reradiused
    and generally cleaned up.