Philosophical Discussion? What is harder to play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Jul 23, 2002.

1. A 1 string bass?

45 vote(s)
  2. A 4 string bass?

7 vote(s)
  3. A 7 string bass?

1 vote(s)
  4. A 17 string bass with a wood neck?

2 vote(s)
  5. A 17 string bass with a graphite neck?

1 vote(s)
  6. A portly middle aged gentleman wearing ladies knickers?

11 vote(s)
  1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    A 1-string bass

A 4-string bass
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Fretless, or fretted?
  3. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    1 string bass. By appearance you'd be like "oh, 1 string this'll be a sinch." But then you pick it up and realize that you only have 1 string and don't even have 2 octaves worth of notes(unless you have 24 frets, which isn't all that rare these days). Then you realize that you have to move all over for 5ths and octaves and 3rds. It'd just mess with your mind, and your scales would sound quite sloppy with all that moving. It'd definetly make me miss my 4 stringer...
  4. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    one string absolutely would be harder. i think the only reason when you get "up there" in string numbers (6, 7, 8, etc) the fingerboard is so big it would be physically difficult to manage. but if you could handle that then i would say a bass gets easier to play the more strings it has.
  5. Only if you have bad technique. I learn every scale going up *using all the strings* and going across *going along the same string* and neither sounds sloppy, except for the fast that the E string gets a little muddy way up the neck.
  6. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Yes, I'd find bowing a 1-string quite easy compared to a 4.
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    A one string would be harder, of course. But if this is leading to 5 strings or more are easier than 4 string, I would have to disagree.
  8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Here we go again.

So, am I correct in assuming you are trying to get back into some sort of 5 vs. 4 type of thread??

I'll come back tomorrow after all the arguing has started all over again.:rolleyes:
  9. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Make it fun: Pretend it's that Whack-a-Mole game. You know, you spank one and another one pops up?
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - chords, for example, would be much harder on 1 string - actually impossible! ;)
  11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I play 5 string because it is easier than 4 string.

But different players would say the opposite. It is dependant on the player and what they play.

This translates to the 4 being easier than a 1.

12. if you're playing metal or punk, i'd say 1-string is easier, because you'd only need 1 string :p

imagine slapping on a 1-string bass... :eek: :p
  13. Bruce Lindfield

But slapping octaves on any note other than the one it was tuned to, would be very, very hard!! ;)
  14. When I think of a one string bass, I think of a washtub bass, which would be a PITA to get proper inotnation on.
    Ilooked into building a tub bass, but decided not to after figuring out said intonation problem.

Now a one string bass guitar vs a four string bass guitar, APPLES AND ORANGES. You simply CANNOT do as much with one string as you can do with four. Common friggin sense.

So, to answer this absurdly lame poll, a 1 string is harder to play than a 4 string if you try to play the 1 string like you would a 4 string. :rolleyes: Now if you were to play the one string like a completely different instrument, since it is, then it is a moot point.
  15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The more strings the easier it is for the left hand (to a degree), since you can stay in one position for more notes.
    Of course there are some counter-acting factors like damping problems and fretboard width. But those can be mastered with good technique.

Whenever I check out a sixer I feel right at home. I can't wait to get one. Damn money problems. :p
  16. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'm not going to reply, I'm not going to reply, I'm not going to reply, I'm not going to reply, I'm not going to reply, aaarrrrrrgggghhhhh!

17. Bruce Lindfield

Why? Well now you did - you might as well actually say something! ;)
  18. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Which one has the graphite neck?
  19. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Yeah i would agree with everyone here and say a 1 string bass.... with a 4-string you could keep the same hand position for a longer period of time