1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phish and Dead cover band

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dfinnegan71, Mar 31, 2013.

1. So I recently got recruited by this group of fellas who are realative new comers to the band scene to play bass. With no expectations about what the music would sound like or setlist material I went in and jammed. It turns out we all really like playing Phish and Grateful Dead tunes. So are Lesh and Gordon musical genius or master's of noodling? Either way, I love it. I have been listening to Phish non-stop for about 3 weeks now. I think they lace there tunes with some kind of hippie crack or something. I just can't seem to get enough. So genius or noodlemeister?

2. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    If you like Phish, check out moe.

www.moe.org

Same kind of stuff but with less noodle and more meat.

3. I have been in Dead cover bands before. Tons of fun. The more you dig into any special band, the more you realize the genious behind them. Yeah, sometimes there stuff can come accoss noodly, but it is usually they are searching for something.

I posted this in the Gordo club thread, but totally worth watching. It is a 4 part series which wlll you can see why they come accross as both geniuses and noodlemasters.

The important thing to understand about this music is that it is about the moment and what is trying to be said or experienced in the moment. Sometimes things line-up, other times they don't. Either way, cover this music is great fun and makes for easy gigging too.

4. stagebanter

stagebanter

May 12, 2012
    Nothing like a fine Gordeaux.

5. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Noodlemeisters IMHO

6. We do some Dead covers, I love playing Phil's stuff. I find much of what he does comes naturally to me. Not so much with Phish, for me none of that comes without a lot more work and listening time than the music warrants. But that's just me. I'm not a very good player, so I tend to lean towards playing what speaks to me, and some music just makes more "sense" to me in terms of playing it than some other music. But I don't hear any "noodling" from either bassist. Maybe from the guitarists...

7. stagebanter

stagebanter

May 12, 2012
    I hear a lot more noodling from Phil than from Gordo.

8. BWB

BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    Exactly.

9. @ DBCrocky I dig Moe, seen them once live and watch them on youtube from time to time. If you like that, check out Disco Biscuits....you probably already have.
    The best comment here is the response to my question with "Exactly"
    Its all in the ear of the beholder... I get it. Great fun indeed is being had a practice lately. :p

10. Best answer yet!

11. Abrahampost

Abrahampost

Feb 22, 2013
    Boston
    Agreed, but love them both. For Gordo and Phish they prove the formula noodling only works after some serious long lengths of composition. Personally, I love to cover both, but would never claim to do it real justice. That's the whole magic of both bands...

only they can get away with it.

12. Fun stuff ! I have been in Dead-like bands and it really is lots of fun. I thoroughly enjoy playing improvisational music. It is a real challenge to truly improvise.

13. +1,000,000...

14. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    Phish are an awsome band! Great musicians and great songs. If you've never seen them they put on one hell of show. And yes, Phil Lesh and Mike Gordon are master at improv; two of the best. I used to paly in a band that did a mix of covers and classic rock and we did a few GD songs and those songs were really fun to play. I was also in a band that covered Bathtub Gin and Split Open and Melt and those too were really fun. The Phish songs are much harder to learn technically.

15. zfunkman

zfunkman

Dec 18, 2012
    I disagree. I love Moe. However, they don't hold a candle to Phish. Moe.'s guitarists are pretty freakin' good but Trey smokes them both and Mike Gordon, INMHO, is better than Mike Durhak. Phish is also much more versitile.

16. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Have to disagree with ya funkman. I've never been much of a Mike Gordon fan, and ROB Derhak is a primary lead singer, and can sing leads while playing complicated bass lines, which is major difficult. I like Trey's playing, but sometimes he just gets so weird it turns me off, like when he skips around the stage for 30 minutes, or uses his looper to make random sounds, or stuff like that he does. Honestly, I dig Page the most of any of em.

But opinions are just that, and judging by the size of the crowds they draw, I'd say more folks agree with you than with me.

17. silvertone

silvertone

Nov 6, 2007
    SF, CA
    Bass roles aside - Jerry and Trey, their compositions, their improvisational skills, their licks, tones and attack are what makes both Phish and GD so good to the average fan.

Those who view these bands from a more technical or particular mechanical or cerebral perspective know that it's the interplay of all the players and how they react to each other that's the real attraction, not just how the lead guitar transports a listener - but at the same time, it's my personal feeling that Jerry Garcia and Trey Anastasio were/are both somewhat super-human in terms of skill, ideas, and the capacity to create magic.

I think the same is true of Lesh and Gordon in terms of magic skills, but without those lead guitar voices as foils Phil would be composing abstract symphonies and Mike probably would have become a film director.

My .02.