Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phish live/las vegas dvd

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by watspan, Apr 1, 2003.

1. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I got this dvd over the weekend and came awy with these impressions: I'm not a phish phan, have none of their cd's but love Rising Low and Trey's solo disc and Bonnaroo dvd performance, so i thought i'd take a chance. Kind of a mixed bag, in my opinion. Sound quality is good, video quality poor--stage lights burn/blur the image. Some of the bands antics (like swapping instruments on the first track) didn't do much for me. Many of the songs are real interesting, though, and have some excellant jam sections.

Mike Gordon on bass: kind of an entwistle w/ a smirk stage presence. Where the hell did he get a 2x18" cabinet! Pity the fool has to haul that w/o a forklift! Most of the dvd has mike picking his modulus, and frankly, i'm not too wild about the tone or style, however, on several later tracks he switches to a slap-type style and seems like a completely different bassist! Has great tone and groove! I can't remember hearing/seeing other bassists who seem like 2 different players in one night!

ps--the drummer is dynamite imho!

2. Mandobass

Mandobass

Nov 12, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    "ps--the drummer is dynamite imho!"

yes, the drummer, Josh <i>Fish</i>man is truely the most freakish member in that band.

3. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    they sure could have picked a better show to film and make into a dvd (setlist wise)

there were other possibilities if they wanted it to be close to their hiatus

*cough 10.7.00 cough*