Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Hey everyone. I was wondering if any of you guys could list some nice Phish songs. I heard their bassist Mike Gordon(?) is a really great pick player and I was talking to a friend the other day who listens to only mainstream pop and occasionally MTV-loved bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit and I was talking about an article I read in the bass player magazine with Phish's bassist on the cover and he was like "oh I've listened to some of Phish's stuff...they're good". I was like am I the only person who doesn't listen to them.

Here are some other bassists that I've heard alot of but have never actually listened to so if you guys could chip in with some songs that are good examples of their playing, it'd help alot.

Rocco Prestia - Tower of Power

Les Claypool (I've seen his bass solos and I know he's an awesome, awesome player but I've never actually listened to a Primus song) - Primus

Norwood Fisher - Fishbone
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    For Rocco I'd recommend "what is hip "

and for Claypool I'd recommend "Tommy the cat"

I can't say anything about the other two.
  3. Norwood Fisher - "Bonin' in the Boneyard", "Party at Ground Zero"
  4. Les Claypool some of my favorites:

Tommy the Cat
    Sgt. Baker
    Fish On
    Is it Luck (damn he's fast!)
    My Name is Mud
    Welcome to This World
    Jerry Was a Racecar Driver
    Wynonna's Big Brown Beaver
    John The Fisherman
    Groundhog's Day

and thats just a few of my favorites
  5. mike gordon is great. if you are coming from a zappa background i would suggest their debut "junta". if you are coming from more of a rock background i suggest "billy breathes". of course their live stuff speaks for itself, you can't go wrong. also check out the film he put together called "rising low" which focuses on different well known bass players (flea, larry graham, chris wood among MANY others) playing in gov't mule.
  6. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Norwood Fisher..

If you ever saw this guy in a dark alley, your gunna cry. he is a beast who plays a fretless warwick thumb, but he wears it loooow...very low.

Fishbone, i dunno how to classify their music, but its fun to listen to none the less :D
  7. mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    Phish - Mike's Song

would be a good place to start
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Fishbone - Properties of Propaganda.
  9. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    Thanks..Downloading 'em.
  10. Also check out TOP's song 'Credit' from the 'Power' record - awesome!!:D
  11. Rocco Prestia is well known for his seemingly non-stop 16ths, muted notes, and 2 finger left hand technique.

Check out TOP's less balladish songs- What is Hip?, You got to Funkafize(live), Only so Much oil in the ground, Don't change horses, down in the nightclub,

Fishbone- Bonin in the boneyard, party at ground zero, ma and pa, lyin ass bitch, everyday sunshine, sunless saturday...

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Both TOP and Fishbone have best of CDs out.

I like the Live TOP CD.
  13. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    I saw this somewhere and thought it was pretty funny.

Sorry if this is off topic. :D