1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phish: What's your favorite show?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassist4Life, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I just recently started listening to Phish. In your opinion, what's the greatest Phish show?

There are so many and I just don't know where to start. I've had people telling me to check out shows from around 1994.

A buddy let me borrow his Hampton Comes Alive (11/20/98 & 11/21/98). He said, "Here, get started with this one." The quality of this recording is simply amazing.

Any suggestions?

Joe

2. learning_towalk

learning_towalk Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'm a long time Phishhead...(I have over 350 Phish shows on disc, and countless others in digital format)

Here are some of my favorites in no particular order:

1) 07-25-92 Stowe Performing Arts Center, Stowe, VT
    Runaway Jim, Foam, Sparkle, Stash, Rift, You Enjoy Myself*, Llama*, Funky B**ch*

Opened for Santana. *With Carlos Santana, Raul Rekow, and Karl Perazzo (all from Santana).

2) 12-31-99 Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation, FL

set 1: Runaway Jim, Funky Bitch, Tube, I Didn't Know, Punch You in the Eye, Bouncing Around the Room, Poor Heart, Roggae, Split Open and Melt>Catapult, Get Back on the Train, Horn, Guyute, After Midnight

set 2: Meatstick> Auld Lang Syne, Down with Disease>Llama, Bathtub Gin, Heavy Things,Twist Around > Prince Caspian > Rock and Roll, You Enjoy Myself, Crosseyed and Painless, The Inlaw Josie Wales, Sand -> Quadrophonic Topplings, Slave to the Traffic Light, Albuquerque, Reba, Axilla, Uncle Pen, David Bowie, My Soul, Drowned -> After Midnight reprise, The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Bittersweet Motel, Piper-> Free, Lawn Boy, Hold Your Head Up > Love You > Hold Your Head Up, Roses are Free, Bug, Also Sprach Zarathustra > Wading in the Velvet Sea, Meatstick

Set 2 was played from midnight to sunrise, non-stop..7 Hours and 45 Minutes!!! total show was over 10 Hours

3) 06-26-94 Municipal Auditorium, Charleston, WV

Set 1: Kung-> Llama-> Lizards-> Tela-> Wilson-> AC/DC Bag-> Colonel Forbin's Ascent-> Famous Mockingbird-> The Sloth-> McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters-> The Divided Sky

Set 2: Julius, Down With Disease, If I Could, Axilla [Part II], Lifeboy, Sample in a Jar, Wolfman's Brother, Scent of a Mule, Dog Faced Boy, Demand*

E: The Old Home Place**, Amazing Grace, Tube, Fire

Set 1 contained a complete Gamehendge narration. Set 2 contained the album "Hoist" in its entirety. *With "Split Open and Melt" jam & "Y-Rushalayim Schel Zahav" ending. **First time played.

I love early 90's Phish...but 95-98 are considered their Peak.

If you don't have it, I really recommend picking up "A Live One"...It's a 2 disk set of the best of phish live...the YEM on there is amazing (with 7-25-92 being my 2nd favorite)

Hope that helps...if you have any more questions be sure to let me know!

3. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    +1

I'm a bit of an audiophile, so I like SDB (soundboard) recordings over AUD (audience) recordings.

If you can find the Live Phish series they released shortly before they stopped touring; pick it up. There are about 20 releases with some other stuff made available for downloading through their website and they are all SDB. I think they are still releasing shows through that site. You have to pay for it but the sound quality alone is worth it to me.

The Halloween Shows for sure as well 11/02/1998. There is a little surprise in Harpua in that show.

6/14/00 Drum Logos Fukuoka Japan.

7/16/94 Sugarbush. (I love Harpua and Lizards)

Also go to http://stash.nugs.net/stash.asp There are a bunch of free shows you can listen to on that site.

4. obsession600

obsession600

Mar 13, 2007
    NYC
    these top a lot of people's lists and you can get great recordings of them

The Island Tour 4/2-5/1998

12/31/95 Madison Square Garden, New York, NY
    Set I: Punch You in the Eye, The Sloth, Reba, Squirming Coil, Maze, Colonel Forbin's Ascent> Shine1> Fly Famous Mockingbird, Sparkle, Chalkdust Torture
    Set II: Drowned> The Lizards, Axilla, Runaway Jim, Strange Design, Hello My Baby, Mike's Song
    Set III: Gamehendge Time Factory> Auld Lang Syne> Weekapaug Groove> Sea and Sand, You Enjoy Myself, Sanity, Frankenstein
    Encore: Johnny B Goode

1 With Tom Marshall singing

05/16/95 Lowell Memorial Auditorium, Lowell, MA
    Set I: Don't Get Me Wrong1, Ha Ha Ha1, Spock's Brain1, Strange Design1, Reba, Theme from the Bottom1, HYHU> Lonesome Cowboy Bill1> HYHU, Free1, Glide II1, You Enjoy Myself, Sweet Adeline, Sample in a Jar
    Encore: I'll Come Running1> Gloria1 2

1 First public appearance
    2 Played for Gloria Steinem; Only one verse

go to bt.etree.org for tons of torrents to dive into

5. Try to get your hands on Live Phish 19 (7/12/91). It's with a horn section, and has one of the best Bathtub Gins. And my favorite Cavern and David Bowie, as a well as an awesome Tweezer, and, of course, Mike's Groove. Mike does a lot of slapping throughout the show. The cover of the Doors' Touch Me is terrible though, but kinda funny.

6. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My buddy runs nugs. Can't say enough good things about this little site. I'll have to add a big plus 1 to the shows you mentioned.

6/14/00 Drums Logos Fukuoka Japan is just excellent. They really explored some trippy improvised stuff in that show. It finds itself in my circulation often.

That Sugarbush show is good too. There are so many good shows. Out of the Halloween shows, my favorite is the 98 show where they did Velvet Underground's Loaded. Perhaps I lean to this one because I was there and it was damn near a religious experience. I'm always assessing my top ten shows. This show has been in my top three of all shows I've ever seen for a long time. I remember seeing people fainting during Prince Caspian in their third set. They opened with Axilla and just destroyed right out the gates. However, sometimes the magic of shows don't translate well to recordings. I've have this show, and I find it hard to remain objective when listening to it.

I have the entire last tour straight from the board. Again my favorite from this is one that I was at.

2/14/03 Great Western Forum They did a version of Bathtub Gin that just made me fall back in love with that song.

7. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Maki,

Thank you for your contribution. I have to say, this is the most serious post I think I've ever seen from you. Thanks. I didn't know that you were a Phish fan. Cool man.

To everyone else, thanks for all your suggestions. I intend on exploring them all.

I'm fairly new to Bit Torrents. I started my collection with a MMW show I recently attended in Buffalo. I quickly found out that there is a mountain of live music available in FLAC format. I've overwhelmed and I don't know where to start. Bassist4Life <-- Kid in a candy store.

The think I'm finding is that some show don't download. They just sit there. I tried to get an old Funky Meters show from the 70's, but it didn't begin downloading. I tried to get one of the Halloween shows from Phish and it was barely downloading. According to my connection, it would take days to get the whole thing.

How do you guys deal with Bit Torrent downloads like that?

Joe

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Where do you think my name comes from? :eyebrow:

Seriously. Check out nugs. There are usually Phish shows available. He also usually has Meters shows too.

On another note, I have two Meters shows from 1975. Both are killer. I also have a pretty good show from the early nineties where they're playing with the JB horn section.

I'm really friggin' busy, but PM me, and let's see if we can figure out a way to get a copy to you.

9. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I was there. Good times.

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Makisupa,

I had no idea. I'm a very recent fan. I had to do a little research to even know what's up.

Joe

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Man, I've lost track of how many shows I have. Been collecting for ages and I'm a long-time Phishhead myself.

Stuff like The Clifford Ball and The Great Went are essential, for sure. I'd have spend a weekend digging through my stuff to be able to remember the most memorable ones.

12. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    For Halloween, I like the Talking Heads musical costume they did. I don't want to give away the 11/02/98 costume, but it is somewhat of a legend in Phish Lore.

The Drum Logos show is awesomeness from start to finish. If you pick up the Live Phish release of that show, there is a tidbit at the piano cadence to Squirming Coil. After complete silence from the audience during the ending piano solo you here an audience member shout out "Thanks Page" as the audience starts to cheer. That for me sums up a lot of what I feel about Phish. Their beauty and vulnerability combined with their desire to be unique commands that kind of respect and captivation from an audience. What a way to end a show too.

I didn't get to go to too many shows, but the ones I did go to I enjoyed a lot. Check out 06/15/03 from Salt Lake City. I enjoyed that show tremendously, I ran around the lawn like a chicken with my head cut off to BBFCFM (Big Black Furry Creature from Mars). There was plenty of room considering most Heads skip Utah shows. We got our beer in Idaho.

I kick myself a lot for not going to Big Cypress (12/31/99). Someone offered to take me, but I declined. At the time I thought Phish was for pussies and grandpas. What I would give to be a little more open minded at the time. Even Trey exclaims that was the absolute pinnacle of their career, an exclamation point to the end of an era. It was after that they Phish was left searching, and looking for a way to bow out gracefully, which finally happened in 04.

Bassist4life: You should look into getting the latest volume of the Pharmers Almanac if you can find it. I like it because as you listen to Phish you will discover songs that you like that are only available live. The Pharmers Almanac is a great research tool to cross reference songs with shows and vice versa.

Also don't buy into the studio albums suck attitude that seems to be prevalent in Phan circles. For sure Phish is all about the live atmosphere, but I see no shame in picking up all their studio efforts as well (with the exception of Undermind) I especially like The Siket Disc, and Rift, oh what am I saying, they all rule. (with the exception of Undermind).

Sorry for the long post, I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to Phish. If you want other bands to check out.....Moe. Umphrey's McGee (my new favorite), Lake Trout, Deep Banana Blackout, U-Melt, Big Organ Trio and you already listen to MMW; good on ya.

13. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    It's funny you should mention this. I just experienced this recently. I was told, "They're a live band."

I was also told in the same conversation that Undermind was a horrible recording. What's up with it? What makes that one stand out as an exception?

Joe

14. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Undermind was their last album, you could just tell that they were out of gas creatively. It was shortly after that album was released that they stopped touring. There were one or two good songs. I judge an album by being able to listen to it from first song to last. That album was not one of those. I'm not saying don't give it a listen, but you could tell it was just time for them to throw in the towel.

15. learning_towalk

learning_towalk Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2004
    Chattanooga, TN
    I agree...

Check out UMPHREYS McGEE!!!

You will not be disappointed! If you can d/l their late night set from Bonnaroo 04 it's amazing (i have seen them 4 times and have tons of their stuff on disc but that's still my favorite)

I dig moe. but can only take so much of them (their Halloween concert a few years back at the Ryman kinda left a sour taste in my mouth)

Def. need to check out The Duo, especially some of the stuff where Mike and Trey are playing with em'

16. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    anything between 94'-99' is all excelent

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Trey eats at the same diner I do. First time I saw him I said " looks like Trey from Phish". Two days later my waitress told me he eats there all the time. Too funny

Rob

18. jamfree

jamfree

Nov 10, 2005
    Just wanted to join the Phish love. My favorite that has been released in stores and you can get everywhere is Live in Brooklyn..pick up the DVD too it's fantastic. I also downloaded the remastered show from Dayton 97 on livephish.com..it's amazing and sounds killer. THe "headphones jam" downloadable off livephish is really cool if you dig the trippy stuff.

19. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    OOH, OOH, Forgot about The Man Who Stepped Into Yesterday Sagas aka Gamehendge,

If you don't know what those are, you should look into it. I'll leave that for you discover but here are the show dates. Try to find at least one of them.

3/12/88 Necter's Burlington VT. This show is rare.

10/31/91 North Shore Surf Club, Olympia WA. I have this show, but I gotta get the tracks rearranged and renamed. (on Mini Disc)

3/22/93 The Crest Theater, Sacramento CA

6/26/94 Municipal Theater, Charleston WV

7/8/98 Great Woods, Mansfield MA

These are treats, and I especially love Col. Forbin's Accent > Famous Mockingbird from any show.

20. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    St. Michael's