Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI

2. Do you live under a rock?
  3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, that really sucks. I also heard that 3 phans from Colorado were killed in a car accident enroute to VT. They might do some sort of makeup show? I'm listening to it right now from in streaming audio. Trey broke down crying while trying to sing Velvet Sea - he said there's a lot of emotion and confusion going on tonight. Mike very calmly talked to the crowd and thanked them and so did Fishman to much applause. Right now they're in some twisted dark "jam".
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Here's some updates on the whole Coventry fiasco...
    The Ghost right now is sick

Thousands Abandon Their Vehicles and Walk to Final Phish Festival 2004-08-15 11:19:57
    Between 6,000 and 20,000 people, according to various estimates, left their cars on Route 91 and walked the final 12 or more miles to reach the Coventry festival yesterday. With thousands of now vacant cars strewn along the side of the road, the Associate Press reports that Vermont police are considering bringing in buses to return festival-goers to their vehicles rather than towing the cars as had been threatened earlier. Last night, police estimated that 60 to 68-thousand fans had successfully reached the site out of about 70,000 ticket holders. The festival infirmary treated cuts and blistered feet but no serious injuries have been reported. There were 10 confirmed arrests as of late yesterday. ''People are being remarkably cooperative given the circumstances," Phish manager John Paluska told reporters. ''It's definitely out of control, but in a good way."
    Police began turning cars away yesterday morning after officials and event organizers deemed the 500-acre festival site an impassable quagmire. Ticket holders who could not reach the festival were told they would get a refund.

Special Statement from Phish 2004-08-14 09:25:48
    August 14, 2004 - Coventry, VT - As a direct result of the severe weather conditions and serious flooding encountered over the past few days, the Vermont State Police and concert organizers, in the interest of public safety, have been forced to limit entry in to the COVENTRY festival this weekend. After exploring all possible options, Police and organizers have concluded that there is no conceivable way to park the remaining vehicles on or in the near vicinity of the concert site, due to the conditions of the grounds as a direct result of the persistent and torrential rains over the past several days. Effective immediately, all vehicles bound for the concert site not already off Interstate 91 will be turned around and denied entrance to the festival. In addition, roadblocks at additional points of entry have been set up and State Police will be ensuring that people can turn around in a safe and efficient manner. All ticket holders denied entry to the site will be granted a full refund. Ticket refunds will be refunded directly to credit card holders who have purchased tickets from Ticketmaster and from Phish's online ticketing system. Further details on refunds will be announced in the coming days. While Phish deeply regrets having to take this action, it is necessary to protect fans as well as residents of the greater Coventry area.

Trey Says: "Come to Coventry on Saturday" 2004-08-13 06:11:48
    At Phish's Thursday evening show in Camden, NJ, Trey Anastasio publicly asked fans to delay their arrival to Phish's Coventry Festival until Saturday morning. Rain continues to fall steadily here in the Northeast Kingdom, and the forecast calls for steady rain all day Friday. The Coventry Festival staff is working hard to move cars off the road and into the campgrounds, but the weather has greatly hindered this process, and traffic is considerably backed up. At press time, Coventry has accumulated four inches of rain.
    For those of you who have not yet departed for Coventry, Phish strongly urges you to not approach the site until Saturday morning or at least Friday night. Please stay tuned to for further updates and festival news throughout the weekend.
  5. I bet this point broadcast has SO many people on it. It buffers every minute at least.
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Figured I would listen to it even though I am not a big fan of Phish and the broadcast is playing fine for me. The music is all right. :D
  7. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Yeah, they botched some of the songs -
    right now Trey is calling out keys and making up songs about the crew!

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Heard that part, and I kept wondering what kind of drugs are they on. :D

Seems to be over, as they are now playing some jazz. What did the last song end up being?

Edit: They are back on
  9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    here's the setlist so far - I assume they're going to play some more? I thought he mentioned a big choir or ensemble and that they'd play Gamehenge?

Setlist 8/15/04
    by Carini, Coventry, VT, 5:42 PM
    Set 1Mike's Song ->
    I am Hydrogen ->
    Weekapaug Groove
    Anything But Me
    Carini ->
    Chalkdust Torture ->
    Wolfman's Brother* ->
    jam (the sexy bump)** ->
    Wolfman's Brother ->
    Set 2Down With Disease*** ->
    Wading in the Velvet Sea****
    [band speech]
    Split Open and Melt ->
    jam (blowing off steam) ->

Set 3Fast Enough for You
    Seven Below ->
    Simple ->
    Piper ->
    Bruno***** ->
    Dickie Scotland****** ->
    Wilson ->
    Slave to the Traffic Light
    Encore[Trey speech]
    The Curtain With
    Notes*The wolfman's brother is Fishman.
    **Trey and Mike bring out their mothers and do the 'sexy bump' dance with them. Then later, 'sandwich' their manager, John Paluska with it.
    ***Trey plays his guitar with a glow stick.
    ****Page gets emotional.
    *****The band spontaneously writes a song to acknowledge their monitor engineer Mark "Bruno" Bradley. Other crew acknowledgements.
    ******Same as above, but for Richard "Dickie Scotland" Glasgow.
  10. I was at a movie theater for a simulcast. WOW! What an experience!
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I can't believe they screwed up the last song. Anyway, who cares. Emotions were running high - it was Page that was balling, not Trey. I'm burning a little VCD right now of some of the 3rd set (only 50 minutes). Must have been awesome to see it in the theatres.

This is from Relix:

Phish Draws The Curtain on Twenty-one Years 2004-08-16 04:22:56
    Phish closed out its twenty-one year career last night by playing “The Curtain With.” Rare fan-favorite written just miles from Coventry, VT in 1985, “The Curtain With” awarded Phish a fitting grand finally, a few hours from their Burlington womb. A choice selection, “The Curtain With” also included Phish’s final statement: “We have no regrets.”
    Throughout Phish’s seventh multi-day campout, fans seemed to have few regrets about their long, overcast haul towards Canada’s border. Despite weathering upwards of thirty-hours of traffic, four feet of mud, and a lackluster Saturday evening performance, Phish’s fans remained peaceful until the bitter end. Though the often-requested “Fluffhead” did not surface, fans had overwhelming warm remarks about Phish’s final performance.

Opening with their classic “Mike’s Groove” medley, Phish led fans through each era of their career, delivering definitive versions of “Reba,” “Down with Disease,” and “Split Open and Melt” along the way. During the tender ballad “Wading in the Velvet Sea,” keyboardist Page McConnell became visible emotional, opening the door for a series of heartfelt goodbyes. A blotched version of “Glide” also revealed Phish’s geeky inner core.

Dotting each set with special guests, Phish brought out a handful of crewmembers to take their final bows, offering the impromptu “Bruno” jam as a crew tribute. Trey Anastasio and Mike Gordon also each danced alongside their mothers during “Wolfman’s Brother.”

Structuring their set lists more carefully than in recent years, Phish opened their final set with “Fast Enough for You,” setting the stage for a band approved tear fest. Jamming on newer numbers like “Seven Below,” the Vermont quarter proved that, until the bitter end, Phish were still able to create excellent music.
  12. :bassist: :bawl: :( :)
  13. Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Yeah i was THERE. At 9 AM after being stuck in traffic for 24 hours (literally STUCK, not moving whatsoever on interstate 91) Gordon comes on the radio and tells everyone that they have to leave.

It was then that the greatest thing ever happened: Thousands of fans left their cars on the interstate and walked upwards of 20 miles to see their favorite band - It moves me just thinking about the dedication of fans and how much Phish means to us all.

Personally my friend and i parked in a nearby town and paied $5 to a local to drive us to the gate - sure we didn't have many supplies besides our tent, sleeping bags, and water. But It was worth it

I feel bad for all the people who indeed DID turn away though (because they were following orders, the radio said no people walking in would be allowed in).. Hopefully phish can make it up to them in some way.

The concert was an amazing experience, i broke into tears (yes, i can admit that) when Page started crying during wading in the velvet sea. The Curtain With encore (which i called) was beatiful and a great way to end it. All i can say is, Phish is really going to be missed but i think it's right for them to end, they have had a fantastic run and have given us all good feelings for 21 years.
  14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Right on Ace! Glad you got in, I'm sure it was worth it.
    Here's a site with some great pictures of the mud and friendly locals and well...Phish. They were the soundtrack to many peoples lives for many years...

awesome photo gallery
  15. Ace123

Sep 25, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Those are some awesome pictures.

Check out this cool Slideshow too.

Coventry Slideshow