Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by olps, Feb 2, 2003.

1. olps

Nov 12, 2001
    Can anyone recommend some Phish albums? I'm really getting into them, I like their stuff. Thanks.
  2. i'm not friend is really into phish. i think i heard him say phish 16 is a good one.
    i like phish, but i have yet to get any albums...yet.
  3. Phish 16?

No such thing.

Anyways, I recommend you first get Lawn Boy, Junta and A picture of Nectar....also Billy Breathes, since imho it's the easiest phish to get into. Their live albums are awesome too.

If you really want to catch the "essence" of Phish, Don't shower! (just kidding) I meant to say get their bootlegs off the net, either from or by downloading Furthur at's a program which will allow you to choose from many, MANY bands.

One thing with furthur is that right now Phish boots are not available because people have tried to make profit out of them. Sit tight though, cos the ban will come off soon.
  4. sorry. i was"out of it" at the time.:p wow. i'm retarded.
  5. You sure are!

no worries dude!
  6. Guitbass

Guitbass Guest

Jan 22, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    It's hard to go wrong with any Phish album. I would recommend getting Slip, Stich and Pass for an intro live album - real prominent bass on this one. A Live One is also good. Studio albums, I recommend Story of the Ghost or Farmhouse for a beginning Phish fan. Picture of Nectar is their studio best I think. Enjoy.
  7. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hard to pick my favorites, but I'd suggest:

Picture of Nectar - good intro among the earlier albums because it's full of tasty licks and eases you gently into the whole jam-band genre, as the songs are less 'meandering' than on some other albums.

Rift - suprised no one else has mentioned this one. Widely regarded as a really good album.

Story of the Ghost - The album has a funky, dark groove running through it and as a bassist, I like-a da groove.
  8. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Well, there may be a 16 after all. They have been releasing 'Official Bootlegs', er, whatever, of their shows, titled 'Live Phish' and numbered 1 thru 16, possibly more.

I would strongly recommend a live album. 'A Live One' is a good start. And be sure to give it time. It may not capture you immediately, but is worth the effort long term.

Also outstanding video performances on Austin City Limits (full 60 mins) , and Sessions at West 54th.

good luck...:cool:
  9. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    There is a Phish 16, it's part of the "Live Phish" series
  10. Yes, i do know that, but i thought he was referring to Albums only. I should have specified.
  11. woo-hoo! i'm not retarded!!!

okay, i am...but LESS retarded, right???
  12. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Where do you find these? Are they available commercially? My vote for Phish Newbies would be "Billy Breathes". It is probably their most commerical album. I am really enjoying "Round Room" although from what I understand, many diehard fans don't care for it....
  13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Anyone heard their newest one??? How is it?
  14. Guitbass

Guitbass Guest

Jan 22, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    Round Room is a good album. It's certainly not my favorite but still good. It has more of a loose, demo feel than I usually like and less of the funk influence but a good (rather than great) Phish release is still better than most new pop music going nowdays!
  15. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Sorry, I don't know. I have DirecTV and Sessions is on every night at 8:00 on an arts channel called 'Trio'. Austin City limits is 'Limited' (sorry :rolleyes: ) where I live, so I am not sure of their rotation.

I just taped them off the air....

The audio for Phish on Austin City Limits has been traded freely, as most of their shows are....
  16. Phish=most over-rated band ever. Boring as hell. When they get sick of ripping off greatful dead stuff, they move on to ruining classic rock songs. Ever heard their version of quadrophenia? it made me sick. I know these guys are supposedly the best musicians around, but i've heard lots of their stuff and wasn't impressed. I basically think they are a greatful dead for rich suburban kids who'll grow up to be lawyers and drive SUV's and stand for everythin the dead was against.
  17. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Isn't it great that we all have the chance to post our opinions? Thanks for adding yours! :rolleyes:

I believe that the original post asked that people recommend Phish albums. How is what you posted relevant? I don't remember the title of this thread being called "Let's bash Phish!" But I'm sure if you started one, many others would post there and you could all revel in just how badly Phish sucks.
  18. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    My favorite Phish album are their first two Junta and Lawn Boy. I was fortunate enough to see Phish when they were still playing in bars. I havent seen them since 1998 or so, and their newer material doesnt really do it for me. But I will never forget those early shows, especially when they toured with the Giant Country Horns in 1992. That was one of my favorite shows I have ever seen.
  19. I fit none of those categories.

:bassist: :D
  20. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    "Rift" was the first Phish album I bought. I think it's really great. It's the kind of album I hope I can write someday.

I also have "hoist" and "a live one". They're pretty good too, but don't hit home with me as Rift does.