Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phoenix, AZ- How's the Music Scene?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jpbass5, Feb 1, 2005.

1. jpbass5

jpbass5 Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Newport, Rhode Island
    The Powers That Be at my day job have proposed a great job opportunity that would mean relocating to the Phoenix area. I've lived in Rhode Island for ten years now and except for the snow, don't really want to move.

Musically I'm involved with a great band here and I'm concerned about moving someplace and having to start over finding a decent gig.

I probably should mention that I've been a full time pro bassist for over twenty years. I kinda fell into this day gig- but It's something I really like.

If anyone in Phoenix can share their views of the Scene there, it would be very helpful. By the way, how's the cost of living out there?

Thanks,

Jp

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Dunno about the scene, but The Bass Place will be your new hangout. Hope you got a good paying job. Oh yeah, they've got 3 GCs. Whoopee.

3. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    Phoenix isn't too bad. The Bass Place has to be one of the best bass stores on the entire planet. Lots of road trips to go on. Gambling to the north, large impressive hole in the ground to the north, Fiesta time south of the border, SoCal to the west, skiing in Flagstaff, all drivable. As for the music scene, it's basically divided in three. Andy West lives here, Ray Riendeau lives here.

The three:
    Scottsdale - 'Git Ur Freak On. Swank Clubs. Two turn tables and a microphone. Hottest women on earth, none that talk to me. Sugar Daddy's is my favorite place there - a bar that the Blues Brothers would have gone to. Good live music depending on which night you go.

Tempe - College town. The University of Ken and Barbie. Mill Ave is the bar street, I spent a lot of time and brain cells on that road during my college days. Unfortunately Beeloes closed, it was a great jazz/reggae/rock bar with lots of local art and live music. Long Wong's closed too - that was the bar that gave birth to the Gin Blossoms and their scene. There's live music on Mill, but most of it is pretty generic. Here, I like Rula Bula - great Irish pub. Guiness on tap. The best happy hour would be Ra - sushi/japanese food place. Four bucks for a 22oz Saki Bomber. Go easy on those, trust me. I still go to Mill once in a while because the drinks are cheaper than Scottsdale. I don't party like I used to though...

Phoenix - This is where the music's at. The scene is located here. The first friday of every month is First Fridays - a whole lot of bars and art galleries open up all night and there's lots of bands. I suppose this scene could be best summarized by the Modified Arts - http://www.modified.org/
    Great place. Real indie. Also check out these bands for a general idea.

http://www.asleepinthesea.com/
    http://www.thenecronauts.com/

My band is gonna be playing there on the 20th with Acceptance and Kill Radio. What the hell, shameless plug:
    http://www.pictureshowmusic.com

Oh yeah, it's February 2nd and I'm wearing short sleeves.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Do you switch to asbestos in July?

5. NOOOOO!!!! that was the first place i went whenever i played in Tempe!!! oh man, the wings!! that sucks!!! :bawl: I played with Fred Green a bunch out there, and i'd usually book a gig for the night before at Long Wongs, just for an excuse to eat there 2 days in a row! :D

6. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Lawl!

Though NYC in August would suit my Finnish friends looking for a sauna... ;)

Keggies downtown art section in PH is pretty hip. Check it out,
    for sure.

What IS your day job? Are you over at NUWC?

And what band are you in right now?

[ You can PM if you would rather not post that ...]

7. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    Phoenix definately redefines hot when it comes to July!! Thank god for swimming pools and air conditioning.

But then again, I've never seen anyone shoveling sunshine from behind their car to get to work in the morning....

Attached is a picture of storm damage in Arizona.

8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I don't know about Phoenix but in Tucson we switch in April :eek: ........................... :D

Man its hot down here!

9. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    My brother lived there for several years, and he said that there was a good music scene. He plays heavy metal.

He joined an already established band called Skull Cap while He was down there.

The heat didn't bother him - he liked it. Houses were relatively cheap - He bought a beautiful place with a pool and a wall all around it. He said that you couldn't get half that for the price up here in Wisconsin.

He said there was a lot of crime there though.

Joe

10. jpbass5

jpbass5 Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Newport, Rhode Island
    I just want to thank you guys for the input. I'm still researching and will have to make up my mind- eventually. My Pops lived in Tucson (?) for a while. Worst argument I've ever had with my wife occured during a visit out there- we both blamed it on the August Heat.

Cheers,

Jp