Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

phol jones bass cabs and amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by antonyhequet, Jan 5, 2004.

1. does anyone have first hand experience with Phil Jones cabs and amps? Reading about them they look like just what I need.

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, they're incredible!

I've found that the cabs require some eq'ing to get rid of the very mid-centric tones I got with my Fafner. With the Phil Jones head, it was easy to dial in great tones, though.

The reason I don't think my Fafner matches well with the PJB cabs is because the Fafner's eq section is essentially 3 band. IMO, you need at least 4 bands (or the PJB graphic) to set a great tone (to my ears). The reason for this is that I wanted to boost the low mids and cut the high mids...there was too much in the high-mids present with the Fafner. The PJB head took care of this, though.

The PJB is accurate, loud, quiet, growly, snarly, and allows all the nuances of a great bass to shine through!:D

3. which head and which cab/cabs did you audition?

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The M-500 and the 8T/12B cabinet combination. I also played each cabinet separately.

5. what did you think of this combination; would you be able to play a club with 3 to 400 people. would you do an outdoor concert with afew hundred people?

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    At the very least.

I didn't crank the volume TOO loud, but I'd bet it's enough to cut through loud, distorted guitars in a club that would hold 1000...at least that's my take on it.;)

One thing about this setup: the little 5" speakers are so tight, the cab combination sounds like it could deliver a one-two punch to your chest and bowel at the same time!:eek:

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've test-driven virtually every piece of equipment in the line except for the briefcase amp. You can read my reviews and opinions on Phil's site, at bgra.com, or by doing a search here. The entire line comes highly recommended...let me know if you have any questions. I'd be more than happy to help out.

8. I'm really sold on these, they really match what i have been looking for. My only question now is which combination of amp speaker is best syuited for mly needs and budget. I'llread you reviews and then get in touch to talk things over...

9. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds good! I'm always more than happy to "talk bass", and I really like what Phil is doing with his line. I'd be happy to help in your equipment research. :D :bassist:

10. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    Anyone try out the Briefcase Amp? I am really interested in this one. I live in the land of small. And using trains for long distances can get nasty when you are lugging around a 10 pound bass plus gigbag + cables and a 47 pound combo. And that is only if I take the little combo.

100 watts, tiny and has a speaker out to connect to my beloved 15's. Sonds like heaven! Anyone? Anyone?

Please tell!

-Aladdin

11. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I also think the brief case amp looks intriguing. I'd also be interested in whether it was possible to get a cab in a similar form factor, without the amp but with one or two more speakers and slightly greater power handling?

Has anyone seen any of these beasties in the UK?

Wulf

12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    A local dealer took on the line but then sent back the entire first shipment of gear because of manufacturing defects :eek:

Sounds contradictory to other's raves but then again PJ are only just starting into production. Most of the amps out there to date are prototypes.

13. curious to hear more on the quality of the production. I am surprised because it looks like high end pro gear...

14. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I subbed for my teacher on a musical one night, and he left me this amp to play through. It was loud for how big it was, but I was running master volume around 3 oclock with the gain around 1 or so. Sounded good, handled the lows pretty well for its size, but it couldn't have gotten much louder. Depends on what you're using it for, but it's a good amp nonetheless. If they went for $350 or so, I might get one.

15. Sir Funkalot

Sir Funkalot Phil Jones Bass

This is Phil Jones of PJB.
    We did have a quality problem with two M500 amps we sent to this store.
    The problem was noisy fans. Since then we have corrected this.
    However this was not the real reason why they did not become a dealer.
    In good faith I left about $2500 of gear at their store which they were going to purchase.
    They decided not to become a PJB dealer because they said we had severe quality issues. That is simply not true. One of the complaints was that the speaker grills were rattling and buzzing and the fans on the amps were noisy. While I agree with the latter and this should not have happened. The comment about the speakers was a damn lie.
    Also,this store did not bother to pack the shipment properly and consequently from damage caused by inadequate protection, we had to write off the$2500 of gear because it was completely trashed by the trucking company. They also kept all cables and covers and I had to pay almost $500 in shipping to get the gear back.
    The real reason they did not come on as a dealer is nothing to do with the quality or performance of the product. This is where TBer Bassman Jones tried it out and he is witness to thier excitement over the PJB products.
    I dont want to embarass this store or the owner. In fact he seemed to be a real nice guy. That all seemed to change when we wanted payment.
    I dont believe in going down a negative route although this dealer
    is never going to sell PJB. I would sooner forget the whole thing and move on but since TB'er brianrost bought this up I feel compelled to settle this forever.
    PJB is fanatic about not only quality but also customer support.
    I am always contactable for customers or bass players who are just interested in PJB.

If any of you guys are at NAMM we will be there in Hall E and look out for a certain famous bass player on the Dean Guitar stand who will be using 2 six paks. (He plays in stereo.)

16. I can attest to one thing :

having called PJB twice I was pleased to get Phil on the phone directly both times; he spent all the necessary time to help me work through the details of what amp/cab combination would best suit my needs (and I can rant untill your ears melt off!)

Antony

17. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Antony,
    Glad to hear that things worked out for you. When you get your new rig put together, be sure to shoot me an e-mail and let me know which components you decided on.

Jay
    Blueberry Hill Bass

18. aladdin

aladdin

Mar 7, 2003
    Chiba, Japan
    QUOTE]I subbed for my teacher on a musical one night, and he left me this amp to play through. It was loud for how big it was, but I was running master volume around 3 oclock with the gain around 1 or so. Sounded good, handled the lows pretty well for its size, but it couldn't have gotten much louder. Depends on what you're using it for, but it's a good amp nonetheless. If they went for $350 or so, I might get one.[/QUOTE]

Eric Cioe,

Thanks for that bit of information. I have a few questions...

1. How large was the hall or auditorium?
    2. How big was the orchestra or pickup band?
    3. Were you using Electric or Upright?
    4. How much does the amp actually cost?

Thanks

-Aladdin

P.S. Mr Jones... are those Platinum Audio Air Pulse speakers in the picture?

{EDIT:Yep, they are! Sorry, I didn't read the PJB History before posting.}