Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

phone jacks,speakon, or xlr?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steve-o, Aug 27, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    my trace head has xlr for a speaker out put...should i a switch the phone jacks to speakon..or the cab to a xlr? or just leave the phone jacks

thanks

steve

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Leave it alone.
    Use an adapter if you need one.

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    im just looking to get the right connection..
    phone jacks aren't the best connection for an amp tho'

steve

4. Phone Jacks are the 1/4 inch plugs and jacks used on most lower power amplifiers.
    Same as on a guitar cable.

I would use the XLR's if thats what the head has.
    Much better power handling then 1/4 inch jack, not anywhere near as good as Speakon though

Scott

5. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Yep. Phone jacks, as in telephone manual switchboard plug/jacks just like you see in those really old movies, turn of the last century. Two lousy noisy wires trying to do the job of three with a contact area the size of a hair.

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Unless you're running in the neighborhood of 1000 watts or above I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference between the 1/4" jacks and anything else. XLR's and speakons are safer because they don't short the circuit when you plug/unplug them and are locking. If you use the XLR just be real careful not to get the speaker outs mixed up with the DI out. You'll end up destroying a mixer if you do.

7. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the di outs are in the front...but i may try..

thanks
    steve