Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

phoned it in

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by rubberband, May 24, 2002.

1. rubberband

rubberband

May 17, 2002
    My palms were sweaty, i had been practicing a song for 2 weeks straight, to get into this orchestra would b great. I get there, and im nervous, i hear violinists in there auditioning, i see everybody leave, and i enter. I set up, praying my bass doesn't make a horrible noise during my audition. I play my piece, releasing my breathe after not blowing it. I make small talk, and as im walking out, after all my hard work, the person im auditioning 2 says" as long as u could hold a bow, u were basically in". ***? I usually don't practice, and i finally start doing it, a lot, and after working hard on a piece that sounded like crap 90 percent of the time, and hammering it out ,i found out my mere presence was needed 2 pass. What a kick in the nuts. Am i wrong for thinking i got screwed here?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Yup.

If you don't enjoy the process then you're in the wrong business.

3. rubberband

rubberband

May 17, 2002
    i just think that its not right for somebody who worked there ass off 2 get in, and somebody who just sits around, plays once a month, and can just hold the bass right, can get in with no difference between them?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Perhaps you'll earn first chair for your effort. Maybe you need to set your goals a little higher as far as choice of orchestras? You didn't get any pleasure from a job well done? Maybe you need to look to yourself for kudos rather than someone else. There are a lot of ways to go with this, but no way that I see to lay any vibe on the orchestra in question...

Ultimately, like I said before, enjoy the process.

5. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm with Ray on this. Hell, I'd figure that the improvement in your playing as a consequence of the practice would be reward enough. If it's not, then why the hell do you play in the first place?

Sure it's nice to get accolades and/or money for playing, but the main reason that I play is to be a little better than I was yesterday on the way to being still better tomorrow.

-dh

6. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Granted, the guy you played for needs some sensitivity training, though he probably was just making an offhand comment about the level of play in the orchestra, and not directing a slam at you personally. I've certainly had more serious ball bustins' than that over the years. I'd just go play with them a couple of times and see what happens; maybe they'll surprise you.

7. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    It's better than being told we let you know is a week and then getting a rejection letter. Practice never hurt anyones playing. Be happy you got a gig!

Joe

8. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    It's the journey that counts, not the arrival. If YOU'RE happy with the audition you played the minute it ends, then you've pleased the only person who really counts in the game.

If you're auditioning for the sake of what the judge says afterwards, you're in the wrong field. Play for yourself first. The rest will take care of itself.

9. Start taking other auditions!

You'll probably find that the level goes from what you just experienced, then immediately steps up to impersonal, Union-Standard, get your three minutes then go home-type-auditions.

Ultimately you ought to treat each audition as a learning experience, and attempt do better at each one.

As auditions get tougher and more selective, the results are geometrically more satisfying, as in:

"wow, I just played even more calmly at a bigger audition" or,

"yeah, I just nailed that excerpt, just like I wanted to"

The Final Satisfaction is that for each audition expereince you teach yourself about how you play under pressure, and for each audition you win, no matter where the group is, you get to play with different, and better and better groups.

Perhaps the best trick for feeling better about auditions: take a Mini-Disc recorder into each audition (very discreetly) and record yourself. Listen to it the next day to see how you actually sounded. Keep an audio catalogue of your audition performances and see if you're improving, regardless of the audition results.

10. For a second I though you (directed towards "Rubberband") were actually talking about auditioning for Professional Orchestras and I thought to myself "***?! No, that will NEVER happen! Something is up." I know that many honor orchestras for teenagers have MANY great musicians (especially in highly populated states) but lack in numbers of dedicated underage bassists such as yourself (Lucky for me, the California All-State Orchestra isn't like that at all). That doesn't mean that your efforts will NOT go unrewarded!

You already had something many young bassists your age doesn't. Dedication. If you continue, you will eventually become good enough to participate in many high-level orchestras with very good bassists. Check out the Tanglewood music festiveal or even better, the American Youth Symphony (ages 18-25, use a search engine to find those sites) Thier bassists, as well as the other other muscians, are equally amazing, being the dedicated (I'm using that word alot) musicians they are.

And don't let this experience make you believe auditioners are going to put you in the Los Angeles Philharmonic just because you can "...hold a bow...". These bassists are very serious musicians and are, no doubt, better than any principle 1st Violinists you'll find in your orchestra.

The double bass is the hardest string instrument to master and is also the most difficult to obtain a position in a professional orchestra with, being that orchestras are looking for maybe 9 players in thier section, verses like, a thousand violinists. So, I respect masters of the double bass and strive to become even better then them. Keep a possitive attitude and you'll find your efforts will payoff...by the way, being a very good bassist is a "plus" when applying for major universities and scholorships.

Good luck:)