Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

phonic max 2500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassman454, May 6, 2002.

1. has anyone ever heard one of these power amps?
    they are rated at 500 watts per side into 8 ohms so i am pretty keen on getting one and for the price i can get it.
    thanks

2. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'm interested in these to.

3. well the price was too good so i bought it, i should get it mid this week, fingers crossed as i have a gig next weekend.
    although i havn't heard it yet i feel that this amp is more verstile than some of the others in its class, like the yamaha p4500, or the carvin dcm2000. as its got speakon out puts as well as banana and binding posts. also its got the combo inputs and then the diferent modes, like high pass filters, limiting off/on etc...i'll let ya know how it goes when i get

4. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I bought one today too!;) I'd tell you how it is, but my cab hasn't arrived yet! LOL. Worst case I have 30 days to return it. If I get a chance to go try it out I'll tell you how it does, but it will probably take awhile for my cab to ship.

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Congratulations to both of you. :) I would love to hear what your thoughts are about your purchases when time permits. I purchased an amp recently from a different manufacturer and thus far I'm very happy with it. I did have an opportunity to hear a Phonic at a store that was powering a PA system. It didn't sound bad at all. Give me the dirt when you get the chance. Price, weight, fan noise, tone, tell me everything! :D

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I got a chance to give the Phonic a brief test today:

Item: Phonic Max 2500
    Price: $299 (list $800)

Test: Peavey Cirrus 6 (bubinga/walnut) into SVP-Pro preamp, Kosmos, with Peavey Pro 2x10. Medium volume. Ran one side stereo. The cab only took 350RMS and I didn't want to fry it since it wasn't mine so I played at a medium volume. (like loud enough for a practice, but not for a performance)

Conclusions: The Phonic did VERY well. I was actually suprised! It has a veriable speed fan so when your not playing it is dead silent, and I didn't notice any fan noise when I was playing either. It EASILY handled everything I threw at it without clipping or distorting. I only played for about 20 minutes, but in that time it had no heat problems. The sound had great bottom and punch, also very clear. (not sure how much a power amp has to do with tone). Over all I am EXTREMLEY happy with it so far. The only downside is that it is kinda heavy.(44.5lbs)

I'll try to give it a high volume extended test when I get my cab.

7. i havn't got my phonic yet but it should be here any day now, i have allready got a lab systems 800watt rms 410 and horn, this power amp can deliver 750 watts per side @ 4 ohm, or 500watt rms poer side @ 8 ohm, it weighs about 20 Kg, it cost me around $900 (Aus) brand new including postage.
    i have heard rumours that phonic, leem and yamaha are all made by the same company or factory? but i have also been told that phonic is just a cheap copy of yamaha??? so i dunno, i don't really care as long as it sounds good, is loud with out clipping and is reliable i don't care what name it is.

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Amen!!! :D

9. i got it yesterday, its seems pretty damn good, the only thing that concerns me is that it peaks quit easily, but i havn't tried it with a pre-amp yet, just had it hooked up to my stereo and straight from my active bass. but at the moment i am only running one 8 ohm 410 so i am not getting its full potential anyway, but it is good and i am happy with it.
    one thing is its so heavy, nearly 21 Kg
    i love the different output connections its got, like speakon, bare wire binding post, spade terminal binding post and banana, and also the input with jack or xlr is quite handy, so for the price i paid for it i am happy with it. but i havn't compaired it to any other power amps so...

10. well i am very happy with my phonic, as until last night i hadn't put it up against drums and so i wasn't sure if it would be loud enough, but even without a desent pre-amp its still went well and i am happy i have bought it, for a pre-amp i just used a sterio 10 band graphic e.q. (it had a nice audio spectrum but...) it had no volume boost at all so, and i think its a bit noisy.
    but for the price i recomend this amp to anyone,
    and i am still only getting just over a quarter of its potential as i was only running one 8ohm speaker box with it in sterio.