Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phonic power conditioner?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by wushuguy, May 1, 2003.

1. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Has anyone seen one of these?

Phonic power conditioner

Is there any reason why I should get a Furman instead of one of these? The Phonic seems to have everything the Furman has, plus the plug on the front. I have no idea if the Furman has anything that is a must that this thing doesn't have.

2. I haven't seen these before.

Checked out the specs on their site - pretty limited info.

Phonic website

The PPC 1200 seems to list its surge protection characteristics; the PPC1100 shown in the ad only lists the "features", so my guess would be it has limited "conditioning", and is more of a convenience device than a surge protection and power conditioning unit. I'd find out how much the 1200 was selling for.:)

3. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Phonic ppc1200

So this one would have everything I need? I'm still new to this, and am not quite sure what is necessary. Thanks.

4. I would think so. I think the Furmans are good stuff but overpriced for their functionality. Unless you are going for a fully regulated and metered unit (maybe required if you play at campgrounds running cheap gas powered generators for electricity - lol), the PPC 1200 is $30 less at the same store than the Furman PL-8 .

However, compare the warranties (both from the manufacturers and from the supplier) to see if there are any other benefits.

It's your $30, so the choice is yours. Myself, if the warranties were the same and replacement bulbs for the lamps are both easily obtainable, then I would go with the Phonic. (I would also email the manufacturer for more detailed specs, like the ones Furman provides - but that's because I'm an electrical engineer and a geek about that stuff! :D )

As a sidebar note, in my rack I use a 6-outlet surge protector with a circuit breaker, and sit it in the floor at the back of the rack. Cost - $12.95 CAD.
    Doesn't use a rack space, but also isn't as cool looking!!

:bassist:

5. wushuguy

wushuguy

Jan 9, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks for the help.