Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PHONIC poweramps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mara, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Does anyone have any opinions about these Phonic poweramps?

This Phonic MAX 1500 looks pretty good: (750W@2ohms/450 @4ohms/280W/8ohms) and I've seen it on sale for 399 €. It sounds like a bargain, but is there a catch?

Check out:www.phonic.com/amp-max.htm

Add to that a Peavey MAX preamp for 325 € and I'd have a setup for less money than a sole Firebass II or Ashdown MAG400.

Any comments?

Cheerio,

Mara

-in search of the ultimate budget rig-

2. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Edit your original post, and place a space between the ":" and the "(" :)

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    There's at least a couple of guys here that use the Phonic Max power amps and they seem to be happy with them. If I'm not mistaken, Chris Braddock is one of them. Do a search for Phonic and you should find some info.

4. Mara

Mara

Jan 11, 2001
    Finland
    Been there, done that, but thanks anyway ebozzz!

I think I will finally stop searching and get the Phonic 1500, Peavey MAX and a Peavy TVX 410 (4ohms).

Could this be a good candidate for the ultimate (new) budget rig?:)

Mara

-in search of the ultimate budget rig-

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Looks good to me! ;)

6. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    (Please excuse any bad grammer, I'm really tired, and have the flu. I'll correct the post later)

I've owned a phonic Max 2500 for a couple months now.

I think it sounds perfectly fine. I don't notice any coloration. It is punchy, and has plenty of lowend. It also has optional filters to cut out really low freqs. to protect your speakers.

The fan is also completely silent. I can't hear it at any time even if I'm not playing, but I can see it spinning.

I've played extended periods outside with it during the summer cranked up, and never had any heat problems.

It has very sturdy construction. The pots feel very firm. It even fell (in a rack) a while back and took no damage, even though, it was enough of a fall to break all the tubes in my preamp.

However there is one major drawback the thing is EXTREMELY heavy.The 2500 is 44.5lbs, and the 1500 is only 5 pounds lighter! Combine that with the rest of your rack and you've got quite a load. Try carrying one around before you buy it.

If I were you I'd spring for the 2500 since it has alot more power, and is almost the same price as the 1500.