Phot shop guys, a little help?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Could you guys photo shop a natural 5 string J bass with Warwicks Headstocks, and Wal headstocks? I am having one built and I want to see if either will look good. Thanks.
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Thought I'd give it a try, try not to laugh too hard :D

btw I couldn't find decent pics of a 5-string jazz so I used a 4 :)
  3. Hmm, that's not bad looking at all
  4. Here it is with a warwick headstock...

5. And again with a Wal headstock...

6. The Wal headstock looks great on that bass! I think the Warwick one looks kind of dumb because its black on a natural bass.
  7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Thge warwick is bad because of the coloring. I wonder how it would look with a maple HS. Someone needs to go find the pic of the bleached blonde warwick and use that headstock.

The Wal headstock is SWEET!
  8. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Heres a quick hack job, with a terrible pic of the bleached blonde, but it gives an idea :)

Looks kinda tasty I say

9. Man, that Wal headstock looks great.
  10. Crap, I don't know which looks better.....I like the Wal, but I also am liking that Warwick stock. Crap, what a dilema.
  11. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I think that the Warwick looks horrible, but I don't like any of their designs so I'm probably not the one to ask. The Wal on the other hand look mighty nice.
  12. I think the reason that Warwick headstock looks good to me, is because of the black pickguard, it is throwing me off a tad, but my bass with have black hardware, alder body maple neck, ebony fretbaord, and a hipshot trem. And some headstock desisgn, I may go with the Wal design, or something like it.
  13. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    The Wal looks better no question (IMO). I think it has less to do with the finish and more to do with the shape. The Warwick headstock is just too stubby to look right on a Jazz bass. It works on Warwicks, but not on Fenders. The Wal headstock on the other hand, just fits better with the overall aesthetic...
  14. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    I agree Dan.
    No offence Shazzorilla, but that Warwick headstock on jazz body just looks, put bluntly, Dumb. Square peg in a round hole, like a sore thumb, odd man out, fat guy with a tiny head, etc.
    The designs don't match at all, basically.

And I like the Wal/Jazz combo just a tiny bit more than the Warwick one. I think the major thing that just grosses me out is the 3&3 tuners vs. the 6 inline that is customary for ye ol' Fender headstock.

YMMV, of course. If it were me, I'd experiment with an inline tuner motif & see what kinda design I could come up with that goes with the curves of a jazz bass... but it ain't me.

Have fun with it & g'luck.
  15. Okay, looks like I'm part of the minority here, I liked the Warwick one better. Granted it does look kinda out of place as is but its different, and I like that.

If it was me, I'd have me a pencil and paper, doodling a slightly different shape, give it a bit of liposuction, take a tad of the bulkiness away. It definitely looks better with the bleached blonde colour, so matching it to the colour of the body will make it look heaps better.

I'd also see if I make some changes to the body slightly so that they match up a little better, I like the Jazz shape but if you are going to get a custom, make it real personal. I can't give you any advice on what you could do a little modding and the Jazz with the Warwick head would look really sweet.

Josh D
  16. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you're having it built, why go for a 'Frankenbass' look? I'd suggest thinking about what you consider makes a good headstock.

For example, you might want the pointiness of the Wal headstock, which (IMO) helps the aesthetic flow of the design, but with backwards slanted tuners of the Warwick (if you find they make the tuners more accessible).

Like daveze says - get a pencil and paper and do some doodling.

17. Call me a traditionalist, but a Fender-style headstock with 4+1 tuners would look the best, IMHO.