Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

photo flame

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Jun 1, 2005.

1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    what is a photo flame finish???? is it any good???

2. it is a picture of flame grain that is glued to the wood under your finish, it is a cheap way of making the bass look more expensive, essex basses do this.

3. Photo flame is what it implies: a photograph, onto semi-transparent film, of flamed figured wood.

It's not real, but it *looks* the part.

Is it good? Only as good as it looks to you.

Ron

4. It was a picture or film of a flame maple top that was inserted under the finish to give the look of a flame topped top. No problem with the finish unless the finish wears through...

5. lol i think he gets the idea

6. Hey, Fender did too!

7. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I came across a MIJ jazz that looked awesome up on the shelf, I asked the salesman to see the bass and was deeply disappointed at what I saw up close. It looked too phony :scowl:

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Holy crap!

It's not real?! Oh my god i'm a dufus.

I always wondered how they got the wood to look like that... now I know. :bawl:

9. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    And you get multiple Hamburglars in the neck too.

10. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    SOme instruments' quilt tops are real pieces of figured wood. I believe stressed growth is what gives figured maple its quilt or flame.

However, such fancy wood tops are not cheap. Thus many inexpensive basses use photoplaned tops to give the appearance of something more expensive. The Samick/Greg Bennett Fairlane 6-string I used to have had a photo-quilt top.

You can get a top made of a real piece of figured wood, but it'll cost ya.

11. I thought there was only one Hamburglar on the neck...never saw one with it in person though.

If you find one with it the bass is worth more. They did fix that addition at one point.

12. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    what is Hamburglar

is that the mc donalds guy who steals the hamburgers????

13. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass

Yep. He shows up twice on the neck of my foto flame Jazz.

14. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    this might sound dumb, but how do you tell if it's foto flame :meh:

15. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Is it just me, or do I see the true grain under the photoflame in that neck shot? :smug:

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Fenders actually had a decal saying it was fotoflame, down at the base of the neck.

Other sellers are a bit less scrupulous...I've seen quite a few around listing 'flame maple tops' that are in fact, fotoflame.

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    You do...that was the point. the overlay was transparent, so the figuring and grain would look as close to real as possible. Real flame maple is like that too.

18. That's right. Fender did it the best and they did it to the lightest woods and to the most area - All of the Jazz like Jender's beautiful specimen. They were ballsy to introduce the idea and then use it as much as they did. If they just used it for headstocks (with disclosure), it would probably be quite OK by now. The real way to tell in a heartbeat if it's a fotoflame is that the pattern doesn't "move" with the light. That's your eyes seeing the light rays bounce around inside the top layer of the wood from different angles. They can't duplicate that 3 dimensional beauty of real figured maple.