Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Photo of my Ric 4001S with MMT paintjob

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iamthebassman, Jan 17, 2006.

1. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  2. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Lefty? Where'd you get it?

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    MMT?
    I don't care for it. Kinda busy looking , what with the chrome and pick guard an' all.

4. Hmmm...If that seafoam green section were any of the other existing colors I could really dig it. The green horn just really throws it off for me. Definitely unique though!

5. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Probably is too busy but I thought it looked cool when this guy did it to his. And I used teal just to be a bit different, and it looks good under the stage lights.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. I like it when he did it

and I like yers too

Glad to meet another bassist with a Paul McCartney fetish

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    You know that soon I'll have something to show you....

Jack

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I love the look of that bass Iam!

9. I'm sort of curious

how does the back of it look?

10. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    It's kinda funny, I did the paintjob about 6 years ago, have posted photos of it many times over at the Ric forum, and nobody's ever asked about the back.
    The bass was originally Mapleglo, so when I decided to paint it MMT-style I had to do it Fireglo first then splatter on the paint. I just did it with Krylon spray paint so I didn't bother doing the back or the neck as the bass is for stage use and didn't have to look perfect. So, the back is still MG with some paint around the edges.
    The bass gigs an average of 10 shows a month so you can see lots of little dings on the headstock.

11. I like it, but what does MMT stand for?

12. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    When people refer to the period when Paul's bass had this paintjob it's called the Magical Mystery Tour paintjob, or MMT for short. When he got the bass it was Fireglo, he painted it in '67, then stripped it down to the wood in '68.

13. It was that paintjob that made me say "wow, I need to go buy a bass"

Harrisons 'rocky' was still cooler though

[​IMG]

14. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Yes, definitely more thought went into his, our lead guitarist has a Strat painted like George's.

15. Are you buy any chance in a...

Beatles coverband?

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas

DING! DING! DING!
    Yep, been together since '91 and now we're all old and fat!

17. Whats the name of your band?

I've been going to see beatles trib. bands since I first started listening to them (Only 4 years. I'm a youngin)

I've only gotten to see 3 though. the Fab Faux, 1964, and Beatlemania Now. Going to see the Fab Faux again for 2 nights in Feb though, and I can't wait. I feel awkward recomending one Beatles Tributeband to a player of another, but if you ever get a chance to see them (the Fab Faux that is) I recomend it. They put on a great great show

18. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    The Eggmen
    www.eggmen.com

We don't try to look like The Beatles(it could never happen!) but we do dress in matching suits for the 1st set which is the '63-'66 period, the 2nd set is the '67-'70 stuff, and the 3rd set is Rolling Stones, Who, Monkees, Zombies, Yardbirds, Byrds, etc.

I play:
    1st set: Hofner Vintage '63 (it's about 10 years old)
    2nd set: the Ric 4001S shown above
    3rd set: I choose from '66 Gibson EB-2, Phantom Teardrop HB, Phantom Custom, Epi Rivoli, Jerry Jones Longhorn

We're based in Austin, Texas and have won the Austin Music Awards' Best Cover Band the last 5 years in a row.

19. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    I'm really diggin' the paintjob! That bass is truely your own. And congrats on your band and its success!

20. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    I'm a fairly new convert to Rics, and I gotta say I'm drooling over that thing.
    I don't know what happened, one day I woke up and thought Rics were the greatest things since... Something really good.

The band sounds great, btw!