Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Photographic adventure 3/9/06 - Highland Park, Detroit

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Well I have always been interesed in the Highland Park area in Detroit. Highland Park at one time was named the "Most Beautiful City in America". Now it qualifies as one of the most devistated areas in Detroit. I'm sure Highland Park is the vacancy capital of the U.S.

Lets start off at the Highland Park City Hall and Police station.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

These homes are absoulty amazing, no two are alike. It's a shame the condition they are in today.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

just as an example, this large building is not an apartment, it's a house.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the porch in the lower left cornor.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Free mattresses
    [​IMG]

Here's a good fixer upper
    [​IMG]

Cash for house?
    [​IMG]

Be careful around here.
    [​IMG]

Driving shot
    [​IMG]

I then drove a few miles away to where some old factorys were.
    [​IMG]

This is where the old Studdabaker Plant was, until it burnt down last summer.
    [​IMG]

Fisher Body Plant 21. Inside this place is really neat.
    [​IMG]

I debated showing these, but since they are part of what I saw I will. Let me know if you think I should remove these.
    Sorry, dude. That's a bit too much for here. Not bad work, just too much.

Someone doesn't clean this up, great......

Same here.

Further down the street, some other factory.
    [​IMG]

Another old factroy, this place was huge.
    [​IMG]

Just messing around on the tracks.
    [​IMG]

Educational purposes.
    [​IMG]

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Great shots, brains. I'm removing the dog photos though, too much for some people.

3. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Like a modern day Riis. Check out his photographic work from the early 20th C. Child labor shots and living conditions in lower Manhattan about 1902.

4. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Understandable.

5. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I would kind of want to see it... can you pm it?

Tanx...

Great photos btw... i am still in love with the one of silver biulding you showed us before... with empty street and broken down house with background of a nice new biulding...

Cheers

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I grew up as an upper middle class white kid in central pensylvainia.

Then I moved to Highland Park and became the token white guy for a black owned and operated land development and property management company.

Talk about culture shock.

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

I'm actually a little sorry to see that. When I was there money was being dumped into that area like nobodys business. It really seemed like it was turning around.

7. I can't remember who it was, but it was some mid-20th-century intellectual who said: "Detroit is an engine for the production of the automobile. It has no other reason to exist."

Shows what happens when an entire city builds itself around a single industry. Los Angeles could have been in this situation after the aerospace industry went bust if it weren't for the growth in trade at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach.

8. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I just googled up the people I used to work for.

It would appear that they are all in jail or at the very least caught and disgraced for scamming the system

*sigh*

9. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    They have attempted reviving some of these areas but it's just not working. For example they built a shopping center which blocks the facade of the mostly vacant Ford model-T factory.

It's espically sad to see new modern homes built in the last 10years completly boarded up.

10. Not surprising. There still isn't a whole lot of monitoring being done over expenditures on urban redevelopment; there was just about zero in its '70s/early-'80s heyday. In many cases, block grants were given to "community development" groups that were fronts for criminal organizations, both black and white. Detroit under Coleman Young was particularly notorious for this, as was NYC during the paleoliberal John Lindsay administration.

When a formerly oppressed, excluded group suddenly gains political power, it faces a great temptation to completely purge the former oppressors from government. Doing so, however, leads to a competence gap that fosters extreme corruption. It's a lot easier to be an activist than an administrator, as the Black Panthers found out when they took over Oakland in the '70s.