1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Photography Album: Downtown - David Whitney Building

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Looks like we managed to get into this place just in time. The owner finally decided to properly secure his building and get security. I feel fortunite to have seen this place.

This is a place that has been sealed off like a tomb for over a decade. Only during the past year has the fortress been penetrated. A plethora of hobos and scrappers have caused a good amount of vandalism. Scrappers are like diseases to these buildings. They rip them apart from head to toe for whatever they can get.

Built in 1913, this elegant neo-classical 22 story office and retail building was once the jewel of the city. This is a place that was once home to many high class lawyers, doctors, tailors, and numerous other businesses.

The outer exterior was refurbished with a hideous "modern” look in the late 1960's. The inside, however, has remained authentic since the day it was built. The lobby is quite impressive. Built to resemble an ancient Roman domed atrium.

The David Whitney Building.
    [​IMG]

First walking in, this is what you see (My lack of a wide angle lens is killing me here)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my photography/exploring crew posing for someone else.
    [​IMG]

Nice underexposed shot looking down.
    [​IMG]

Apoligies from Black & White flip-flops to color. I shoot both. Some told me I should stick with just one, but I don't want to. I like doing it this way better.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That be me in the mirror.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

More B&W looking out dirty window.
    [​IMG]

Another crew member enjoying view.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More distruction.
    [​IMG]

This is the top of the glass dome that covers the 4 floor lobby downstairs.
    [​IMG]

The elevators don't work, so we have to take the stairs.
    [​IMG]

Not a bad view from the roof. The vacant Broderick Tower next door towers even higher over this place.
    [​IMG]

And I'm afraid of heights too.
    [​IMG]

This be the same game the Tigers knocked the Yankees out of the post-season. Pretty good seats for free.
    [​IMG]

Fire extinguishers still work.
    [​IMG]

The building rises from the lobby on all sides, adding more zest to it's architectual magnificance.
    [​IMG]

These look in pretty good shape. This building had the least about of decay that I have been in. Until reciently this place was in near perfect condition. Kind of depressing seeing these kinds of places get vandalized by a-holes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sunset
    [​IMG]

Just as the last out was called.
    [​IMG]

About half hour later, as crowd was emptying out and headed back to their homes in the suburbs.
    [​IMG]

I'm not good at night shots yet, but these 2 came out alright.
    [​IMG]

My personal favorite building, the Book Tower, at night.
    [​IMG]

That's about all. All in all, an interesting building but not very photo-genic. I hope they restore this one in the future. Hate to loose this building for yet another surface parking lot.

2. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    I love this one:)

I've always wanted to do stuff like this, but Hartford really doesn't have too much in the way of abandoned buildings and such. Awesome work, you take some great photos.

3. Very nice! I always enjoy your work.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Me too..that one jumped out at me.

bc

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    +1

thanks for sharing this with us.

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Bad Brains: making urban decay look cool since 2004.

7. I bet that's because "urban renewal" projects destroyed most of them in the '70s and '80s.

Downtown Los Angeles has loads of beautiful 1900-1930 office buildings in its that were abandoned in the '60s and '70s for newer office towers, both in newly "renewed" parts of downtown and in other parts of the city. (One such building was the famous Bradbury Building, the exquisite atrium of which features prominently in Blade Runner.) Their street-level storefronts still had shops in them, mainly selling overpriced merchandise to recently arrived Latino immigrants, but the office spaces above were completely empty except for the occasional sweatshop. In 1999, though, the city passed an ordinance allowing developers to turn these empty office blocks into apartment buildings without having to provide off-street parking. As a result, literally thousands of units of new high-end housing have come on line in these old buildings, with tens of thousands more yet to come. Combined with the inhabitants of the new buildings that have been built on the sites of surface parking lots, there are now more than three times as many people living in downtown Los Angeles as there were five years ago.

I doubt that'd work for these gorgeous abandoned skyscrapers in Detroit, though. Unlike in Los Angeles, where a two-bedroom shotgun shack in a free-fire zone goes for $300 grand, there's just not much demand for housing anywhere in the Detroit metro area. (There's a little in Oakland County, but expect that to go away real quick if Chrysler doesn't get itself out of trouble soon.)

8. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    EU
    I think you should shoot in color when it comes to abandoned buildings, though. Color is important part of architecture, and grime important for abandoned buildings. Save your B&W for shapeshots like portraits :)

9. Nice hat.

Pictures are a bit boring. You should have put in a babe in a bikini or something cool like that.

;)

Messin'. I always love looking through your photo threads. Let alone that I've never seen buildings as big as those, the fact that they're so abandoned and massively empty is almost beyond comprehension for me. Crazy madness.

10. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    You make the best OT threads. I love looking at these. Have you ever gotten in trouble for doing any of this? What camera do you use?

11. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    We haven't gotten in trouble for doing this....yet. In fact one of the reasons why I don't have a website for these is because entering these places is "illegal". Tresspassing tickets aren't too bad in Detroit, but I like to think I do this rather carefully. Usually if I have a bad feeling, I go with my instincts. If I ever do get busted, I will tell them I'm a photography student, but I doubt it will matter. I never enter a place unless it is already open. I refuse to B & E.

Currently I am using an old pentax 35 mm. Old fashioned, but the quality is great. I just scan my negatives in and tonal/color correct + clean off dust spots in photoshop. I don't really consider myself a good photographer to be honest, I just go into places most people never get to see. I think I'm getting better though.

12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan

Actually, I technically started getting into this in early 2005 ;)

13. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    bravo, This is a really moving album. The lobby shots are especially breathtaking, and tragic.